DEWORMING PROTOCOL FOR PPID GELDING

Sue Ring

Hey all!

I have a few questions re:  deworming protocol for a recently diagnosed PPID (although NOT IR) 20-yr-old gelding.  I have read through all of the files, especially the caution regarding use of praziquantel in PPID/IR horses.  Do I have this correct?  Recommending use of ivermectin first, wait 10 days and then use Strongid C 2X pellets, dosed by weight, for 30 days to get rid of tapes and encysted strongyles (this would be in place of the use of praziquantel for tapes - praziquantel is what I would use before the PPID diagnosis).  Just wanting to verify that I am using the recommended PPID protocol effectively with products that are most compatible with his current condition.

Thank you, in advance for any info.....
--
Sue R in NC 2021

CASE HISTORY:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Shifty

PHOTO FILES:

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Sue,

The Praziquantel caution is for EMS/IR horses due to the possibility of a delayed insulin spike after administration. It isn't a problem for a non-IR horse.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Sue Ring

Thank you Lavinia!  I do have a supply of Strongid C 2X pellets.  Would the protocol to use that up at the appropriate weight dosage for the 30 day period have the same effect for a Cushing's, non-IR horse, even though the praziquantel warning would not apply to him as PPID only??  In other words, same outcome, different product and longer administration of that product??  I'd like to use up this Strongid C 2X supply that I have on hand rather than buy praziquantel if the effect of getting rid of tapes and encysted strongles is the same.......
--
Sue R in NC 2021

CASE HISTORY:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Shifty

PHOTO FILES:

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Sue,

Yes, it is fine to do the 30 day Strongid pellets since you already have them.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

If you have a kitchen gram scale, I suggest you  “calibrate” the measure enclosed in the Strongid bucket. The measures in my buckets under-weigh the recommended dosages for both my horses. IOW the markings on the side were inaccurate in estimating the weight of the pellets printed on the measure.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Sue Ring

Interesting!!  And thank you very much Cass for that information!!
--
Sue R in NC 2021

CASE HISTORY:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Shifty

PHOTO FILES:

Maxine McArthur

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 06:24 AM, Cass in NorCal wrote:
If you have a kitchen gram scale, I suggest you  “calibrate” the measure enclosed in the Strongid bucket. The measures in my buckets under-weigh the recommended dosages for both my horses. IOW the markings on the side were inaccurate in estimating the weight of the pellets printed on the measure.
I would suggest doing this for every product you buy that comes with its own scoop. I just weighed the amount of balancer pellets in the manufacturer's "50 gram" scoop. It came to 35g. So if I had trusted their scoop weight, I would have been under-dosing my horses.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Tracy

Duuuh - I'd never thought about using my kitchen scale to calibrate the scoops that come with Salsa's supplements.
Just sat my digital kitchen scale by the door so I can take it out and do this!  Interested to see the results!
Thanks for pointing this out!

Tracy
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019

Tracy

Reporting back on weighing supplements.  I use Uckele Equi-VM for my main balancing vitamin/mineral.
Weighed the scoops, averaged it out and instead of two scoops by weight - I need to be using 2.6.
That's enough of a difference to matter since this supplement actually has enough copper and zinc for this batch of hay!  Well - at least at 2.6 scoops it does.  The 2 I was feeding was a little 'short'.

Thank you Maxine!!!

--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019
Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tracy%20and%20Salsa
Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=95827

ferne fedeli

Seems strange that manufacturers would have a scoop that used less of their product.  I would think it would be to their advantage to do the opposite...
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History