Breakfast Hay Analysis - please confirm if this one is safe to eat dry

Jennifer Green

Hay analysis. I’m trying to find safe hay that Fergus can eat a breakfast dry in the winter. Right now, he’s getting it soaked. I think this one is safe but hoping someone can double check. Thanks!

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History/Hay%20Analysis/EQ142215.pdf

--
J.Green
MA, USA

Sherry Morse

Hi Jennifer,

At a glance that should be ok for him but as always you'll have to keep an eye on him and if you notice any changes you might need to reconsider how it's being served.

Jennifer Green

Thank you!! We plan to keep soaking the hay for all of his meals for now.  Just on the cold days in the middle of winter, I wanted the option to feed dry in the morning. I will keep an eye on him though to make sure I don’t notice any changes what we do get to that point.
--
J.Green
MA, USA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

Edited

Hi, Jennifer. The ESC + Starch are moderate in this hay, as Sherry noted. But I want to make a pitch for looking at the whole analysis of any hay. In this case, the moisture content is alarmingly high at 18.1%, almost twice what it should be. Hay with that much moisture can easily spoil and get moldy. Moldy hay should never be fed to our equines.

It’s possible to mishandle a sample or to collect a bad sample.  How did you collect this hay sample for analysis?
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Jennifer Green

I keep waiting for the hay sampler to come back in stock at equi analytical. If not from there, I’m not sure where I could purchase one that takes the core sample vs. the one that checks moisture. On that note, the sample was not obtained the “correct way”. The hay didn’t smell moldy or feel particularly wet.  I looked at about 5 different bales and it was stored inside; but I just pulled hay out of the middle of the bale and didn’t “core”.
--
J.Green
MA, USA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

Sherry Morse

Equi-Analytical isn't the only place to buy a hay probe although they do probably have the best price.  Other options:

Add another probe to Sherry’s list. Pay close attention to the size of the probe shank where it fits into the power drill. The usual  3/8” power drill doesn’t have a chuck large enough for a 1/2 inch shank. I had to buy a new drill for mine.

http://www.bestharveststore.com/Hay-Probe-Bale-Sampler-18-inch-Depth-Drill-Type-for-1-2-Drills-p20.html