Remy is getting Laminitis again and I don't know why

melanie Schwartz

So Remy Has Laminitis again and I don't know why. HE was doing so well.  And now this.  I'm still soaking the hay and giving him beet pulp with Vermont blend and supplements.  Around the 17th, He became very touchy around his stomach and hid gut. HE also had cow patty stool.  I have given him probiotics and some tummy herbs and his poop is better.    I thought it was tummy issues but now since the farrier came out its confirmed he has laminitis again.  Blood work was taken on Tuesday.  Im wondering if he has season Rise now and needs to up his precend.  Also,  I have him back on Banamine.  So my questions is I want to get him off of that because he has ulcer issues. He has been on it for a week now.  I have Devils claw  and White willow and I may some boswallia powder too.  How much and which ones should I use.  I'm so upset he was doing so well and now this.   One more thing, He has been limping on the Front right for a few weeks.  I thought is was an abscess, so I was soaking it about 3 times a week.  But now I see it was laminitis coming on slowly.  HE seams to not be able to put weight on that front Right.  Im soo Frustrated!  We came so far. :(

--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328

Edited

Hi Melanie,

It appears you have been a member for awhile but this is your first post, which triggers our ECIR group welcome.  I’m going to try to address a few of your concerns and follow up with our welcome information.  Our philosophy revolves around diagnosis, diet, trim and exercise, or what we refer to as DDT/E.  We could include a smattering of drugs with the diet.

Your vet has diagnosed Remy as being insulin resistant as well as PPID.  TB’s and to a lesser extent drafts are more likely to be IR due to their PPID, rather than at what we call ‘baseline’.  So controlling the PPID is more likely to affect the insulin levels than with another breed.  As his ACTH levels are elevated but not markedly so, it’s quite possible that he’s in the early stages of PPID.  The bloodwork you just submitted should shed some light on that as it will give us the results for the top of the rise.

Do you have photos of Remy, when you thought he was thin?  You should be able to feel and vaguely see ribs when they are at their best weight and it sounds as though you are trying to keep him above that.  As you started giving pergolide during the fall rise, it’s quite possible that you didn’t get its full effect.  You definitely should wean Remy off the NSAIDs.  Not only are they bad on their own but, when giving with omeprazole, the Intestinal problems are made worse.  You are feeding Phyto-quench.  If that’s the pelleted product from Uckele, it contains Devil’s Claw already.  Laminitis is not an inflammatory process, the reason that NSAIDs aren’t useful, and I might draw the same conclusion about white willow bark and boswellia.  The best thing you can do for laminitic pain is to keep the insulin low and the trim close to perfect.

Have you had any Xrays done recently?  We could help by taking a look at his feet, both inside and out.  Its quite possible that making a change in his trim would help.  I’m not sure how your farrier made the laminitis diagnosis and knowing that might be helpful.

I realize that I haven’t given you a direct answer to solving your frustrations but, putting our collective heads together, we will be able to help.

Below is the welcome information, which you may be familiar with.  I learn something new each time, I go through it so please take a read through and notice all the links.

Welcome to the group!

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

melanie Schwartz

Thanks Martha,

I do have a case history and photos. Its below in my signature.  I will try to get new photos.  The phyto quench is powder.  it does not have devils claw.  Should I cold turkey stop with the banamine and give devils claw?   I just got a new farrier. literally yesterday.  He thinks the inflammation is because the feet were not being done correctly and toe was out of control. He hopes.  I just added the Atch, insulin and glucose test results to my case history..  They look normal. But im no vet.  God, I hope he get better with just being trimmed correctly.  I had a great farrier Lois but she fell ill.  And Remy was improving so much under Lois trimmings.  So I chose this other girl but he kept declining under her trimmings.    To the point he was laying down again.  He has not layed down in months.  Again, Please god, I hope this is the reason.  Otherwise, I dont know.  The only other thing, is the sensitivity to the belly. my horse loves to be groomed that is not normal for him to want to bite me and pinn his ears.    If all his numbers are normal for the past year.  Im not going to pay for xrays,  I think im going to spend money on getting him scoped and ultrasounded.  Thats my gut feeling.  I dont know.  Let me know if you think Im wrong.

One more thing.  In my account on this page,  in the identity section.  I have kept a diary of events.  Its a years worth, so its long.  I can provide that too.

Im just putting this out there.  I would be happy to  pay for Dr Kellons advice.  Im not looking for free advice, Although I appreciate it.  Because this can be costly.

Again Thanks,

  Mel
--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Melanie,

His current labs really aren't consistent with endocrine related laminitis and it won't strike one foot dramatically worse either. Judging by the last films, there are several gas pockets in both feet.  The feet also look too short in vertical height to me and have poor sole depth. I would let them grow higher while keeping that toe way back because there is a large laminar wedge in there trying to grow out.  I would clip the hair back off the coronary band and use the angle of the uppermost growth to guide how far to back up the toe.

Have you done any hay analyses with trace minerals? That could be the key to better hoof quality.

Hi Mel,

I see Dr. Kellon has addressed Remy’s situation and that’s good news!  I, too felt the blood values didn’t scream metabolic but if that’s what your vet said, so be it.  Sorry, I overlooked the photos for some reason.  I was hoping to see what Remy looked like when you thought he was too thin and what he looks like now, when I might think he was too heavy.

I did go through everything in your case history though.  Are you still working on remodeling the hoof after his laminitis a year ago?  To remove the banamine, you need to taper or you’re likely to have rebound pain.  Here are the instructions for that.   I’ve also read that if you are planning to start Devil’s Claw, you can just stop the NSAID cold turkey and start up the Devil’s Claw the next day.  That comment was Dr. Kellon’s but it was not recent so I’d probably taper to be safe unless someone here tells you otherwise.  Rebound pain can be frustrating.
I saw your long write up, meant to read it but then couldn’t find it again.  I’d copy it to your case history folder where it will be more obvious.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

melanie Schwartz

 I had the hay analysis done last December. Its in my case file.   Do i need to do it again?  Im feeding Timothy.  I have a new farrier. I believe he has done a much better job than the previous one.  time will tell.  Ill send new pictures.    Do you think I should get more xrays?  do you think i should be soaking the foot in a Epsom salt/ betadine solution?
--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

Melanie, I think your hay analysis was done by NIR spectroscopy which isn’t as accurate as wet chemistry.  Your sugar and starch is low enough that I would not expect it to be too high when redone.  However, there is no iron, manganese, copper or zinc reported so it wouldn’t be possible to use this analysis to balance your hay for optimal hoof quality.  The test you want is the trainer package - #603, which is halfway down this page.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Melanie,

With thin soles you don't want to soak as that will soften them and could compromise them even more. Better to use a Numotizine poultice, which can be effective in initiating drainage and is very useful because it will change color in areas that had drainage. Scrub the foot well then apply a layer of Numotize and cover with cotton gauze or a diaper.  Secure the cotton or diaper well then put inside a boot or wrap with duct tape or Gorilla tape. Leave on 1 to 2  days. https://www.bigdweb.com/product/code/294.do?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6KHNvrUDEU0PkpYDdE7N8moWo5i2eawvlG6XpSfhsMBWOuxClRsn9MaAmeyEALw_wcB

A full set of hoof photos would also be helpful in assessing where the trim may need tightening up. Here's what's needed:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1472

Make sure the camera is at ground level for the laterals and dorsals so that you are looking at the hoof straight-on rather than looking down from above. Hold the camera far enough away that you can include part of the cannon bone in the shot.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

melanie Schwartz

Thanks Will Do.
--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

melanie Schwartz

ok, will work on that too. Thanks
--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

Hi Melanie,
I read through your notes on Remy this morning and thought of a few practices you might want to change.  If he’s lying down, that’s fine - as long as he has access to food and water.  You really should not try to walk him when he doesn’t want to.  That can be damaging to his feet.  Giving him NSAIDs so he will walk just means that he will be more willing to walk on sore feet and perhaps damage them further.
It seemed as though he was on and off bute and banamine quite a few times.  If he’s been on it any length of time, you should wean him as I mentioned last night, where I also discussed not giving him NSAIDs and omeprazole together as that will cause more digestive upset.  Just a reminder on that, as well, as it seems to be a pattern you follow.  You are certainly not alone on that.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

melanie Schwartz

I tried just give him devils claw  last night and this am.  He has been mostly laying down. I hate seeing him in so much pain.  Vet told me to give gabapentin.  She wants to get behind the pain.  We are also giving him misoprostol for hind gut.    Truthfully,  im at my ends with this laminitis.   I'm considering to put to sleep. I just don't know if I can handle this anymore. THANKS FOR all your help.

--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

melanie Schwartz

So, i dont give gastrogard and banamine at the same time.  Gastrogard is given on an empty stomach. 30min to an hour later. I feed him and them he gets banamine.  But yes, its been a cycle i cant seem to get out of.

MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Melanie,

You shouldn't use the Gastrogrd concurrently with the NSAIDs at all - it's not about the timing of the dosing.

Do not administer Gastrogard at all until the horse is no longer receiving any NSAIDs.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Hi Melanie,
I was trying to figure out how to word my discussion of using NSAIDs and omeprazole concurrently and I guess I failed.  I’ll try again.  It’s not the actual drugs that don’t get along but instead the effects of those drugs.  It’s very common to have drug interactions and this just happens to be a bad one.  It can result in colitis and hind gut ulcers,  Basically, the bad gastric side effects of NSAIDs you’re hoping to avoid by also giving omeprazole are actually being made much worse.  It’s not a matter of what time of day he takes his meds but that the effects on his body are cumulative and adding to his discomfort.

Could you describe his pain?  How is he acting when you decide to give him banamine?  Is it in his feet, both feet, all over?  Is he depressed?

--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Melanie, as I said earlier, I read through Remy’s journal today.  It makes my highly recommended reading list, except it may not suit our attention spans.  I totally agree that you have been through a lot but it doesn’t have to be such an unrewarding struggle.  We can help you along.  We have this construct we work with here which states that these are the issues we need to address - diagnosis, diet, trim an exercise or DDT/E.  I think I may have mentioned that before.  So, first let’s address the diagnosis.  To confirm your vet’s suspicions, I would suggest getting a TRH Stim test in late December or January.  This will tell you whether he has PPID or not, even if the endogenous ACTH test (non stim) is negative.  Second, I would redo the hay testing and find someone to balance your hay for you, once you have the results.  Third, I would work with Lavinia on the trim.  We don’t have drugs on the list but I would wean him off banamine.  These are not presented in chronological order, but rather following DDT/E.  Oh, and no exercise until he’s moving around freely on his own.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

melanie Schwartz

Ok, It started with Remy not letting me touch him without trying to bit me.  He also has cow patty poop and started to not want to eat.  at that time I was not giving nsaids.  Thats when I started to give gastrogard.   At that time he was limping around.  Then things got worse.  He started to lay down again and could hardly move.  So I started on the banamine again.  I have tried to take him off the banamine and give devils claw but he seems to get worse when I do.  It freaks me out.  I have tried cut the amount of banamine in half.  The same thing happens.  He goes to laying down all the time.  The pain is in his front feet.  More so on the front right . He can not put weight on it at the moment. He is leaning back alot..  I have to feed him on the floor tonight.  I also put some water in a pan for him to drink too.  I think he was a bit dehydrated tonight.  Now yesterday. when I touched his girth area, He still gave a dirty look.  As far as taking pictures of his feet.  im not sure I can right now.  because he is either laying down or cant move to a place that is level.  He is in a stall with shavings.  I collected the Hay and will send off.    HE does not like the banamine  but i make him take it.  I dont know if he is depressed. I dont think so.  He has horses next to him.  He calls to  people and gets lots of attention. Up till yesterday he was limping around and very interested in things and looking around.    I know he does not feel well.  I hope that helps.
--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

Sherry Morse

Hi Melanie,

Have you tested him for Lyme disease?  You can take pictures of his feet with him laying down - you just need to clean the area around his feet so there are no shavings and clean his feet so there's not dirt or shavings on them.  Keep in mind that if he has any abscesses the NSAIDs will inhibit them from clearing out.  Have you read the article that Martha linked on tapering NSAIDs and followed that protocol?  If not, here it is again: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/How%20to%20Taper%20Off%20NSAIDs.pdf

And more on alternatives to NSAIDs:

Have you put boots on him?  Styrofoam on his feet?  He has no sole so giving him so extra padding in the way of boots would probably make him feel much more comfortable.

melanie Schwartz

I have him on PQ powder.  It does not have the Devils Claw in it.  I have devils claw powder and boswalia Powder.  How much do i give?  Im always afraid of giving too much.  I have not tested him for Lyme.  Did not know that was a thing in Florida.
--
MELANIE SCHWARTZ
DAVIE,  FLORIDA 33328
October 30, 2020
Remy's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Remy
Remys photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263092

Lorna Cane

Melanie ,it is doable ,taking hoof pix while your boy is down.

I had best success doing this when I laid a sheet,huge towel,or even one of those interlocking mats under the foot/leg being snapped.
Easier if you can get material under both,but one will do.
This keeps shavings away from your pic,and provides a more solid background for the shot.

You can take all angles,depending on how Remy feels about you gently straddling his leg,facing his hoof.
Sometimes , if it's possible, lifting the foot even slightly(propping up on rolled up towel (or whatever) allows a better view of whichever angle you are attempting to get.

Being a contortionist helps.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario