Reoccurring Hoof Abscess Help

millionairess1989

This year Mill has suffered from at least 4 probable hoof abscesses, 3 in the last 3 months. I know of 2 for sure and 3 of the episodes were in her right front hoof, 1 the left front.

She starts limping and then her leg may be swollen for several days, sometimes up to her knee. One was confirmed by a vet and another I saw the hole from the draining abscess.

Mill is barefoot and turned out in a paddock 24 hours a day unless weather is inclement. She has been trimmed every 6 weeks. The x-ray in her case history was during one abscessing event and my farrier has been taking her shorter since. She has been on Uckele Hoof Complex since July 2020 to help the reoccurring quarter crack on her right front hoof.

I don't know if the quarter crack issue is what's causing these episodes or what else might be going on. Currently I have a applied an epsom salt  poultice that was the only thing I could find when one started, along with a duct tape and vet wrap bandage (which may or may not stay on :(
 https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-epsom-salt-flow-gel-20-oz?cm_vc=-10005

What can I do to prevent and treat them?
Are poultices helpful and if so, which one is best?
What can I do for pain relief? Would there be any benefit to other supplements (such as Devil's Claw, Phyto-quench, Laminox or anything else) that are safe for her 3rd degree heart block?

Aside from the hoof issues, I think she looks remarkable for being 32 3/4 years old and on her third life (if she were a cat)!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 32 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent-3rd degree heart block

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Jennifer,

For abscesses, the best thing to do is get them to drain as quickly as possible. Anything you use to control pain will slow the maturation of the abscess, making it last longer or even go "dormant" without draining. Once you stop the med, it becomes active again. Becomes a never-ending circle. Numotizine is a good poultice and it has the added bonus that it changes color where there is drainage.

From the rads, her toe was really long and sole a bit thin. In the full body shot, all of her toes were long, with underrun heels and broken back HPAs. That will contribute to thinning in her soles, which can lead to recurrent abscesses as there isn't enough protection for her solar corium from the ground when her soles are too thin.Really need to see a full set of hoof photos to be able to comment on the overall trim and what can be done to help optimize it. Here's what I need:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1472

Camera on the ground for the lateral, dorsal shots and please include part of the cannon bone in the laterals.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Jennifer,

 Her metabolic status and other blood work are remarkably good too!

Let's start with possible contributing factors. Even without PPID, immunity wanes with age and I think this is part of the problem. Her 8 lbs of pellets could be upsetting the mineral balance in her diet, which weakens the laminar connections and immune responses. I suspect the biggest factor of all is that toe, which may not be back far enough yet.  The long toe pulls on the laminae causing breaks that are an open invitation for infection. The toes are also the reason she has so much sinking and flat feet.

Jiaogulan can help speed up resolution but I wouldn't use it daily until the feet are corrected. I would get her pellets analyzed and/or ask the company for a typical analysis so you  have some idea of the mineral issues involved.  She can probably also use more protein in her diet.  The safest way is to increase her flax to 1 lb/day.  Phyto-Quench would be safe for her.

Numotizine is also my choice, and has been for 40 years, but it doesn't turn pink, it is pink when you apply it. It turns dark in areas where there has been drainage.

Michele Goldberg <ladipus@...>

When my horse kept having re occurring hoof abscesses all last summer we took him to the vet clinic where a CT scan revealed a Keratoma.

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

millionairess1989

Dr Kellon, Laviania and Michele,

Thanks very much for the replies. I'll work on hoof photos tomorrow. My farrier is due out in 2 weeks and I'll see about moving that appointment up. He's commented that we can't get Mill to grow any heel and she's been like that forever.

I don't know that she will eat a pound of flax divided into 2 feedings. Would split peas be appropriate and how much would I need to feed?

Does she need regular Phyto-Quench or the pellet formula with Devil's Claw?

I'll get some Numotizine ordered. Is it harmful to use if there isn't an abscess brewing and Mill is just tender-footed??

I'm extremely grateful to Dr. Kellon, this group and the members for helping me take the best care of Mill that I can! It's hard to believe that almost 12 years have passed since her PPID diagnosis.

--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 32 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent
Jack 22 yrs TN Walker- IR & RAO

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

At her age I doubt she could chew split peas well. They're like little rocks. Normal tooth wear over time decreases force and efficiency of chewing. This is a good, safe, soy protein isolate that is also on sale https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/soy-protein-isolate-powder-natural-002660?scid=45182&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=google_ads&utm_campaign=G_PLA_Smart_1st+Party_MFV&utm_term=&utm_content=smart&tf_adid=461445940796&tf_asid=108172800197&tf_cid=11025969242&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_eOoUk54edD5X4zBsxIcWGp5PRcbHjti5k9XTSdUE7prah7zQpw4m8aAqxfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds . A pound of flax by weight is 4 cups by volume. If you could get her to eat 2 cups of flax and 2 oz of the soy protein isolate that would be a nice boost. I would also add 5 grams (2 tsp) of methionine https://www.bulksupplements.com/products/l-methionine?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_eQsNtkaZNBguBMnLfZCBGFsMGMzZ4s3VpR4SBHtfUBbq6dgvHXS_MaAiWqEALw_wcB which is critical for hoof health.

Edited

P.S.

PQ pellets with Devil's Claw and Numotizine is not harmful.

millionairess1989

Thanks for the information about the peas. The flax and soy protein sounds doable. Would she need extra methionine with 2500 mgs already in Hoof Complex?

I'll work on getting PQ pellets ordered too.

Thanks much!
--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 32 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent
Jack 22 yrs TN Walker- IR & RAO

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You could reduce the additional methionine to 2500 (one tsp) for a total of 5000 which is still on the conservative side. Many areas around the globe are experiencing a drop in soil sulfur related to pollution control and are not yet adjusting for this with sulfur in the fertilizer.