Looking for feedback on clouds vs Stratus boots

hdavis

I am needing another repair of boots for Rio for winter to protect her from winter laminitis. In the past I have used clouds and they have worked great as I waterproof them then add wools socks, felt liners with reflective material in them and then a shipping boot on top.

The boots have helped up well except now the Velcro is no longer sticky anymore and won’t keep the boots on her feet. I can get wrap them but it’s a pain to re wrap them each time I need to change her socks and what not.

I found some stratus boots but wondered if they might be better and wanted people’s feedback on them.  They are leather and a bit heavier so not sure about that either especially when we get lots of snow where I live.  TIA
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

bbolton@...

Hi Heather,
I live on Vancouver Island, so don't have the cold and snow you are dealing with. I have used both Clouds and Stratus boots. I found the Clouds spun on my horses 'bad' (clubby) foot. The Stratus boots are a bit heavier, but stay in place. The insert pad is FAR SUPERIOR and I would recommend them over the Clouds any day. They are very well made and have heavy duty velcro.
--
Lynn, Dakhyri (IR), Khyara, (IR, PPID)
Duncan, BC

Rhonda Turley

You can try www.hoofhelpcanada.ca   This is where I found Hoof Scoots to help my Scooter but they have other brands as well.
--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario

Patti SoCal 2020

Heather, I took my clouds to my local saddlery shop who was able to send them to their repair guy to put new Velcro on. That extended their life and they are working well.
--
Patti
SoCal 2020

hdavis

Oh that is a great idea Patti!  Thanks for the other feedback to from others.  My cloud boots are in great shape minus the darn Velcro and they stay on Rios feet without turning. I prefer these higher type boots for winter to keep the snow out of her boots and find the thick pads also are great as in insulator too.  Any other ideas to save my clouds would be great or more feedback on the stratus especially from folks who deal with snow too.  I worry about the leather getting wet and heavy.

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Kirsten Rasmussen

I just want to remind everyone that hoof boot discussions are a general topic that belong on the Horsekeeping or Hoof sub-groups.  Please only ask questions pertinent to IR/PPID horses here.  Thanks!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History