2nd request Re: CBD treatment for melanoma PPID

TERRI JENNINGS

I recently read that we shouldn’t give CBDs to horses who are PPID. Would that also apply to topical treatment of melanoma with CBDs?

Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott

Arcata, CA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Terri%20and%20Teeny
Joined 2019

Kim Leitch

I also give CBD oil to my PPID/IR mare, Grits, who has melanoma. It has definitely slowed the growth with oral and topical use. I’m interested in the answer to this question, too.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Maxine McArthur

Terri would you be able to share a link or let us know where you read this?

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

celestinefarm

Maxine, Dr. Kellon made this recommendation of not giving CBD to a PPID horse on Oct. 15Th. I have been surprised there has been little follow up discussion of this.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD
Oct 15

In ADHD, PTSD, seizures, etc. it's not a matter of flow being blocked per se but rather an imbalance in the production of neurotransmitters.

CBD actually reduces dopamine effects.

PPID isn't a problem with too much dopamine. It's too little. There's no evidence that CBD could actually cause this in a normal individual but it might have a significant effect in one that is already abnormal.  CBD does bind to dopamine receptors, just like pergolide, but it blocks the effects of dopamine. I wouldn't give it to a PPID horse.

Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Maxine McArthur