Help figuring out NSC

Maxine McArthur

Annette, there is a helpful section in the Wiki called “How to Search the Archives”, which contains instructions on searching.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1993

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Nancy C

Just a slight clarification, please.  Use of the term NSC at all, IMO, unduly complicates the issue. Many feeds and hays the NSC will also contain fructan which does not cause an insulin spike. If you are searching for NSC you could pass up perfectly acceptable hay, for example.

Per Dr Kellon:
We use ESC + starch because we are only interested in the components of NSC that are digestible in the small intestine and can cause an insulin spike.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/258553

I agree that calling or writing the company to find out these results is the only way you are going to get them for the majority of products. The companies that ECIR Group supports understand and recognize the need for this info.

Also agree that many companies skew starch levels that are either far too high, as Dawn suggests, or market ESC and Starch <10% with a very low ESC and a starch level that is too high (above 4%).

Dr. Kathleen Gustafson has done a great job reviewing this in her 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference lectures, which are in the video recordings available below.

--
Nancy C in NH

2021 NO Laminitis! Conference Video Recordings available to new subscribers 11.09.21
  www.nolaminitis.org

celestinefarm

Annette, many companies do not offer the sugar and starch numbers for their products or if they do, it is an average of a group of bags that they had tested. So relying on those numbers is iffy, as many of us found out years ago when Triple Crown claimed Triple Crown 30% was 10% NSC or under. When some of the members here sent in samples because they had footsore horses on it, the numbers came back higher, sometimes significantly. That is because the different ingredients used in these products can have variances in sugar/starch due to growing conditions, etc. and companies do not test for that.

It's why the group has very few safe feeds listed.

If you want to still try to figure out what you are dealing with, you need to get the ESC numbers. Add them together for the NSC that we care about.
For example, if you go to the Nutrena website, you need to look at the particular product you are interested in, click on it, then look to the right at guaranteed analysis. I picked their "Safe Choice" product since they market that as controlled starch. Click on the guaranteed analysis and look for the sugar and starch numbers.
The guaranteed analysis shows 5% sugar and..... 17% starch for an NSC of 22%.  Certainly not safe. But the marketing sounds nice.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Anette

I am attempting to figure out the NSC for all the feed and supplements Superman gets. Finding that info on the feed bags,etc. is proving difficult. it's not on the tags if there is one and even when I search the companies' site,that info isn't there. I watched a webinar put out by Nutrena that explained how to figure it all out, but getting the info needed is the problem. Any guidance is appreciated.
Also, a few weeks back DR.K posted the proper way to do a search here, can someone tell me that again please.
--
Anette and Superman (Jaywalker in heaven)
Boomer, NC