Cool Stance Copra and Micronized Linseed /Linseed Meal/Linseed Oil

Maria Duran

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 05:46 PM, celestinefarm wrote:
Hi Maria,
Thank you for the information. Almost all the providers of stabilized ground flax here in the states guarantees a shelf life of two years on their flax. They use a "cold" type of processing, in which slow grinding is used to not create excessive heat during that process. Of course, any product that is opened , then left open to air, or damp in a barn is going to go rancid quickly. It's why I think people encounter their horse "suddenly" doesn't like their supplement or refuses to eat it, it's because it's based in flax that's gone rancid..  I try to order what I need for a month , two months at the most, to avoid rancidity. If I do have to open a big bag, such as a supplemental feed or flax,, I remove what I can use in a week or two into another container, then close up the bag tight and keep it in a trash can somewhere with stable temps.

Hi Dawn, thanks for sharing, to my understanding and I could be easily wrong, what most deteriorates omega 3 is exposure to air. I think heating doesn´t destroy too much of the omega 3, so I wonder how can shelf life be so extended up to 2 years once is grinded even at a low temperature, the fat will be exposed to air, just thinking out loud, not making assumptions. I also don´t understand the difference between cooked, micronized and stabilized as they all involve more or less some heat as part of the process. I don´t know if by stabilized, enzymatic processes are stopped like in rice bran por example with lipases and that reduces rancidity.

I"m not sure what BHF is saying with the 55% of oil . I think people want to know how much Omega 3 is in a recommended serving of product.
I believe they are saying that 55% of the oil content in flaxseed is omega 3 as an average. The technical data of some linseed I have asked for shows between 40% and 65% of omega 3 content. So if oil content in that linseed is 40% by typical analysis, then aproximately half that oil is going to be omega 3 if it is not destroyed.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

celestinefarm

[...]

Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Maria Duran

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 06:32 PM, celestinefarm wrote:
  Micronized Linseed from British Horse Feeds is sold through Emerald Valley, the distributor of Speedi Beet.  Since we have typically used cold milled flax which preserves the fragile Omega's , I'm having a hard time believing that chopping, grinding and cooking linseed, then drying it to a flake to ship preserves the Omega 3's in the same manner. I also can't find the amount of 3's in the product, they simply list 3,6, and 9.  It also only has a shelf life of six months, compared to two years for flax.

If it is of some help, I contacted BHF about their cooked linseed to ask for the omega 3 content and they said " Omega-3 content is about 55% of oil. There will be some loss due to heating."

I don´t believe the loss is too much based on the studies about omega 3 loss with heating, how much loss, I don´t really know.

About the two years of shelf life, do you mean the seed? I think once it is grinded shelf life reduces considerably due to fat exposed to air. Don´t know if heat can stabilize oxidation and hence rancidity.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Nancy C

Edited

Many discussions here about this product, the claims and metabolic horses that have not found it "safe".
--
Nancy C in NH

2021 NO Laminitis! Conference Video Recordings available to new subscribers until 12.31.21
  www.nolaminitis.org

Michele Goldberg <ladipus@...>

Hi Nancy ...ok thank you ...the website and bag claims it’s safe for EMS/laminitis
--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Michele Goldberg <ladipus@...>

Hi Dawn...ok great thank you for listing these other flax options!
--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

celestinefarm

Michele, I also forgot to mention that members here buy large bags of stabilized flax from Turtle Mountain Flax, who grow and process flax in North Dakota

.Turtle Mountain Flax
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Nancy C

Coolstance has twice the recommended level of fat for EMS horses and an inverted Omega 3:6 ratio, IOW, high in Omega 6.
--
Nancy C in NH

Recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference released to attendees 09.03.21.
Veterinary Professional CE certification hours submitted to AAVSB Race 09.08.21
2021 NO Laminitis! Conference Video Recordings available to new subscribers 11.09.21
  www.nolaminitis.org

celestinefarm

Michele, I would stay with regular flax. There are other suppliers of flax , such as Custom Equine Nutrition.
Omega-E – Custom Equine Nutrition
Horse Tech- discount for ECIR members
NutraFlax (horsetech.com)
Manna Pro- could check with company to obtain a larger size if needed.
Flax for Horses | Ground Flaxseed for Horses | Flaxseed Benefits for Horses (mannapro.com)
Cool Stance is coconut meal, and I don't think it has the Omega 3 profile you are trying to achieve with feeding flax. I'm not really familiar with it so I might be wrong, but it's nutritional claim is that it provides medium chain tryglyceriides.  Micronized Linseed from British Horse Feeds is sold through Emerald Valley, the distributor of Speedi Beet.  Since we have typically used cold milled flax which preserves the fragile Omega's , I'm having a hard time believing that chopping, grinding and cooking linseed, then drying it to a flake to ship preserves the Omega 3's in the same manner. I also can't find the amount of 3's in the product, they simply list 3,6, and 9.  It also only has a shelf life of six months, compared to two years for flax.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Michele Goldberg <ladipus@...>

Are any of these appropriate replacements for stabilized ground Flax?..Apparently Triple Crown has a crop shortage on their Triple Crown Naturals Golden Ground Flax which is what I’m feeding to everyone at my farm

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa