Chicy Trim Pictures at 2 months Lavinia 2nd Request

Qhgirl

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 07:15 PM, Qhgirl wrote:

Hi All-
I was able to find a barefoot farrier and posted pictures after trim on 2021-11-23.  He said he did not have much foot to work with on the front feet since my regular farrier trimmed her a couple of weeks ago. He said he had to take heels down of front as they were high and creating a pressure point where the coffin bone is pushing on the sole. He had to clean up bars quite a bit. He said lowering the heel would give her some relief. Also she is shedding her frogs which he said is really good as it shows she is remodeling her feet.
I am not sure that her angle has changed much. And she is still very flat footed. He will be back in 2 weeks and then every 5 weeks after that.

Would love some feedback from Lavinia to see if we are on track. Does it look like she is having less stretch in her sole and is gaining sole depth?  Any comments on progress welcome. New trimmer has 20 years experience and only barefoot trimmer. Said he has helped several foundered horses and is familiar with the ECIR group.

--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Janet,

I'll leave comments on the trim to Lavinia, but was wondering how Chicy feels?  Was she more comfortable after the trim?

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Qhgirl

Hi Kirsten,
Chicy has been trimmed several times since she foundered. She went from laying down most of the time to walking with padded boots on in the adjoining paddock to her stall and now being had walked. This week she rolled for the first time and got up and leaped in the air and bucked. When I walked her some more she would buck and jump in the air showing me she feels good. I have been hand walking her for 3 weeks now. Sometimes she wants to trot but I do not encourage that as her left front without boots on is very sore. She did not offer to walk in the clouds so changing to treks has made a big difference. The new trimmer says she has a long way to go but he can get her there. We just need to be patient.

Thank you for asking. I will not say she felt better after the one trim. But the frequent backing of her toes and new diet have her feeling a lot better. With boots she has not limp. Without boots she lumps on her left front.