Elevate Vitamin E Concentrate Powder

Hello...I was given several tubs of the Elevate Vitamin E Concentrate powder...is this safe for IR/Cushings and laminitis horses? I notice sucrose is in the inactive ingredients
--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Edited

Hi Michelle,
Could you please post a link?  I looked through all sorts of information on KPP Elevate Concentrate and couldn’t find any mention of sucrose.  I think it may get used in small amounts as a preservative but I don’t know that for sure.
In my mind the powdered Elevate is used for maintenance after bringing the vitamin E levels into range with something more potent, such as water soluble miscellized vit E or vitamin E in oil capsules.  Is that where you are now?   Reading their literature, I see that is still the case.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Powdered Elevate contains dextrose and Vitamin E.  I would think that's a binder.  For the cost of it you'd be better off buying a human grade version and feeding that instead.

I was given 3 tubs of it for free so I was hoping to use it up

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Hi Martha...yes my horses are all at the levels they should be as they have been getting Vitamin E oil caps for awhile now...I was given 3 tubs of this concentrate so I was hoping to use it as it’s good expensive stuff ...the label does say it contains dextrose though ....here’s a link :

https://www.midwestvetsupply.com/itemFiles/KPP_ElevateConcentrateProductDetailer.pdf

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Thanks, Michelle.
That is the product I was looking at but not the same page.  I don’t know how sensitive your horses are but it’d be similar to feeding a sugar cube, which we advise against.  Maybe that’s the reason someone else was passing it on.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Michele,

I'm not sure how much dextrose would be in a serving so you may want to ask the company about that.  Also, I believe you said you have some non-IR horses so you may want to use this for them and keep going with the capsules for the IR ones.

Actually my friends horse was put down due to having EDM so she no longer needed them ...she knew I gave vitamin e so she was just trying to help me out.

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Angie

I use the gel caps too - no worries about added sugar.  If you want to pass on the concentrate, you may seek out someone who is treating their horse for EPM.  I understand EPM horses need high amounts of Vitamin E.
--
Angie
October 2020, Mendocino County, CA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angie%20and%20Jacob
Jacob's Photo Album:

celestinefarm

I've used Elevate many times over the years and am finishing up a container now.
. IF you cannot for whatever reason feed capsules, or water soluble Vit E, and your horse is otherwise controlled, then this amount of dextrose, IMO, not a significant amount.  If someone gave me containers of Vit E, especially natural which is difficult to get right now, I wouldn't refuse or regift them if I had all other facets of my horses' diets well controlled.

From the KPP website concerning Elevate's sugar content

  • A scoop of Elevate Maintenance Powder contains 1,000 IU of natural vitamin E and 5 grams of sugar. This is a very small amount of sugar. For comparison, one medium apple contains 15 grams of sugar and one cup of chopped carrots contains 6 grams of sugar. Supplementation with Elevate Maintenance Powder does not significantly increase the level of sugar in your horse’s diet and is appropriate to feed to horses on a low sugar/starch diet.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History