New here - IR testing questions

Elise.peters@...

First of all, thanks to Dr Kellon and everyone else here for the absolutely overwhelming amount of information so freely given. There's so much to get my head around.

Pascal is a 10 yo Morgan gelding who is showing signs of sub clinical laminitis this year for the first time in his life following a change of agistment (boarding/livery). Although I knew Morgans were at risk I didn't think I'd have a problem with him as he's always stayed at "normal" condition, never overweight, never had any abnormal fat deposits. His only signs have been slight crest, exercise intolerance, slightly footsore and heat in his hooves. Try as I might, I have never been able to feel for a digital pulse (with him or any other horse).
As I keep him on agistment I have been really limited in how I can care for him, however he has settled into a routine of grazing muzzle on during the day, and off at night. His crest has softened, no heat in his hooves and happy to trot out on trail rides in his hoof boots (he is barefoot). So I'm happy with this routine and think it will work for him - once the grass dries off for summer I'm hoping I can reevaluate.

My questions pertain to the timing of IR testing. Is it safe to have this testing done now that he isn't showing any clinical signs?
I've read the info on having him tested in the morning, with free access to hay. Is it ok if he is out on pasture instead? Eg his normal routine of unrestricted grazing overnight? I don't have access to a dirt yard unfortunately. I do have access to stables, however he finds being stabled stressful and I can't guarantee that he will have company overnight which will make it even worse.
Should I be waiting until the end of summer when the grass is at it's least nutritious instead?

Thank you!

--
Elise
November 2021

Pascal Case History

Candice Piraino

Hi Elise and welcome!!!

Yes he can be on pasture before his test. We do not recommend fasting test and we do not recommend him getting a "grain meal" before test. So pasture and hay are fine. A normal routine is best before the test, so try not to stress him or work him, which can influence his numbers. We do recommend getting them tested 2x a year, the same time each time to determine any changes.

Would you please complete a case history for us when you get a chance? Please upload previous lab work and we can help you further. Directions are below how to accomplish this.

Welcome to the group!

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

Elise.peters@...

Thanks Candice.

I have done a case history, it’s linked in my signature (might not have been showing up as I did an update. No photos of anything yet.

Another question is whether X-rays are indicated in his case? Given the mildness of his symptoms?

--
Elise
November 2021

Pascal Case History

Sherry Morse

Hi Elise,

Having a noticeable crest (however slight that might be) and being footsore are fairly good indicators that your boy is IR and it's only moderately controlled.  I would want to get x-rays done of his feet so you know what you're dealing with internally and get his blood tested sooner rather than later. As a probably IR horse I would not be letting him unrestricted grazing at all at this point. He can wear a muzzle 24/7 if he's out full time.  Some people swap out different muzzles/different styles from day to day to change things up.  He may not like it but he'd like full blown laminitis even less.

I would also encourage the X-rays (and the bloodwork).  Horses that have the most appropriate trims recover from laminitis more easily.  We can help you interpret the X-rays and how they relate to his trim with his likely insulin resistance in mind.  Also, it’s good to have a baseline of some sort.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo