Chronic Lyme Diagnosis

Kinsey

Hello!

I recently had Bucky's tested for Lyme disease because he was just having too many symptoms for them all to be related to his IR diagnosis. Turns out I made the right call because he has chronic Lyme disease. He also had a laminitis flare up despite being well managed, which is what really convinced me to test especially since he was negative for PPID. At this point I'm also wondering if maybe the IR was a misdiagnosis all along and it's been Lyme (from reading messages on here from my understanding there is a link between the two).

I have updated his Case History and added some new PDFs of bloodwork and test results etc. Interestingly, when I had a CBC run back in May his Lymphocytes and Platelets were low and his WBC was lower on the range, from reading more I'm wondering if this was an indicator of Lyme that my previous vet just didn't see. My new vet seems familiar with Lyme and her first suggestion was treating with doxycycline but she is willing to order minocycline for me instead if I choose to go that route (which is what I'm thinking I will do). I've read through messages on here by doing a search for 'lyme' but would like some more guidance for treatment.

I know antibiotics are hard on the gut and want to make sure I do everything I can to protect Bucky's gut. He currently gets GUT by Uckele and Immubiome Lean Muscle to help. Is this going to be enough gut and immune system support while he is being treated? Is there anything else I should be adding to support him? Any advice or information relating to chronic Lyme would be super helpful as well!

Thank you in advance!

--
Kinsey & Bucky in GA 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kinsey%20and%20Bucky/Bucky%20Case%20History.pdf

Interesting, Kinsey!  We don’t see insulin resistance in QH’s as frequently as in some other breeds so your hypothesis might be right on target.  I live in Lyme Central and have always used doxy without problems.  I have a 40 yo pony on it now without any issues, except a slightly soft manure.  He was infected with anaplasmosis and we started him with an iv dose of Oxy-tet.  Although I’ve never done that with Lyme, I believe it’s also one of the recommended options for treating Lyme.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Kinsey,

I've treated my guy twice for chronic Lyme - first time we did 60 days of Doxy, the 2nd time we only did 30 because his level wasn't quite as high.  I treated him with Ulcerguard while he was on the Doxy and upped his Vitamin E while he was on it as per Dr. Kellon's recommendation:

I would double the vitamin E and add acetyl-l-carnitine, 9 g/day, for nerve support. https://uckele.com/acetyl-l-carnitine.html  Not much point in using probiotics at this time because they won't survive the doxy but doxy is well absorbed in the small intestine in horses so there should be minimal effects in the cecum and colon. When treatment is over, use a  stomach/foregut formula like GUT https://uckele.com/g-u-t-2lbs.html .

Hi Kinsey,
I would encourage you not to throw your IR cautions to the wind, just because he has tested positive for Lyme.  I don’t know how Lyme causes laminitis and I don’t want you to risk Buckley’s health by making unwarranted changes.  Challenging his system with increased sugar and starch while he’s already suffering from laminitis for whatever reason would not be a good mix.

Your first insulin test was done fasting, which we don’t recommend.  Was your second test fasting as well?  That makes a difference in how the results are interpreted.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

ediefr@...

Kinsey -

In terms of treating chronic Lyme, which my PPID horse has had since I've owned him (14 years):

After many years treating him on and off with doxy and tetracycline, with minor improvements and ongoing high Lyme titers, my vet suggested a 30-day minocycline regimen followed by a shot of the canine Lyme vaccine. HUGE difference. Now he just gets the canine Lyme vaccine 2x a year, and his Lyme titers are down in normal range. I don't know why the vaccine works to bring down his numbers and help resolve his Lyme symptoms, but it does, and it only costs $40 per shot, vs. the huge amount I spent on doxy, plus all of the worry about what the antibiotics were doing to his belly.

It's off-label use, but most vets here use it for horses, and I've never heard of any bad reactions to it.
--
EdieFr
Cape Ann, Massachusetts

Kinsey

Hi Martha! Thank you for your response. Not to worry - I will still be treating him as IR as I'd rather not take any chances! Yes the first insulin test when he was diagnosed IR was done fasting. His second test (most recent) was not done fasting.

--
Kinsey & Bucky in GA 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kinsey%20and%20Bucky/Bucky%20Case%20History.pdf
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kinsey%20and%20Bucky

Kinsey

Thank you Sherry! I will up his vitamin E dosage and look into the acetyl-l-carnitine! I appreciate it!

Thank you EdieFr! Yes mino seems the most promising so I think I'm going to just treat with it. I've read about the usage of the canine Lyme vaccine for horses and would be willing to try it at some point if I need to. It seems a lot of people in the northeast have been using it for their horses lately. I'd have to talk to my vet about using it - I worry that because it's uncommon down here in the south she may not be willing to try it. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though! I appreciate your reply!