Distillers grain and yeast cultures

Trisha DePietro

Hi all.  Finicky Pants ( Hope) has inconsistently been finishing her mineral mix the past 4 weeks. Sooo, I would like to try distillers grain and/or yeast cultures....my questions are:
Is nutritional yeast the same or equal to yeast cultures and how much is safe to feed? a teaspoon or a cup?
Same for distillers grains--- a cup or a teaspoon?

Does anyone use a heated water bucket to serve minerals and carriers in ( wet)? I am nervous about an empty bucket creating a fire hazard( if she actually eats the food)  anyone have experiences with this? Thanks all.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Not for safety, but for palatability limit the yeast to a tablespoon, the grains a cup.

I would ask the manufacturer your bucket question.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

I use the heated 5 gallon water buckets all winter for keeping wet feeds from freezing.The heated buckets are supposed to shut off if they go above a certain temp but I don't like to test that.

I hang the heated bucket up, fill it 1/4 to 1/3 with water, then put the 5 gallon bucket with the food in it inside the heated bucket and hang both together. Only problem is that you need to change the water in the bucket every few days if your horse dribbles any food into the water as it gets nasty.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Trisha DePietro

Thank you !
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

Deb Walker

Lavinia - That is an interesting set up.

Trisha - After trying everything else under the sun I started last winter (2019-2020) with 2 heated muck buckets. We attach them to the steel panel in his barn, making sure they are up high enough to not come in contact with the ground/shavings. I plug them into a timer, which is set to heat 1 hour on/1 hour off 24/7. It does not get too hot to cause an issue, but when temps dip to single digits and below, the top food still freezes a bit. Not to mention, Scotty throws a LOT of food on the ground. We just recently took an ax to it and are thawing it out gradually, a bucket at a time, in the house to attempt to re-feed with fresh ODTBC mixed in. When a horse can ONLY eat wet food, winter is a challenge.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Deb Walker

Forgot to mention...if you contact the manufacturer, they will tell you the buckets are not designed for that...they are only meant to hold water. In other words, they have to cover their butts in case.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Trisha DePietro

Thanks Deb. Yes- will try both suggestions. Maybe together it might get Ms Finicky Pants what she needs :)