Compounding Pharmacies - Avrio

Natalie Washburn

Avrio Pharmacy called regarding Jay's pergolide RX today.  The tech told me that they're bringing all the Pet Health customer's pricing up to be in line with Avrio's existing pricing.  His prescription went from $57 to $80 a month.

Are there any other preferred compounding pharmacies that have the same level of quality control and pricing that Pet Health had?  Bonus if we could go back to having flavors added in (Avrio doesn't do that).

~Natalie & Jay in TX

Nov 2002

NRC & NAT 2008

Jay - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Natalie%20and%20Jay

Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1902&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Erica Reimers <Ereimers90@...>

How many days do you order at a time? Is that for a one month supply?

--
Erica H CA 2021

Erica Reimers <Ereimers90@...>

My apologies. I just saw that the price of $80 is for one month. Eek. I guess I better call them bc I'm going to have to order a refill soon for my gelding. Not sure I want to spend an extra $70 for the 90 day supply or not.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022, 11:20 AM Natalie Washburn <1nataliew@...> wrote:
Avrio Pharmacy called regarding Jay's pergolide RX today.  The tech told me that they're bringing all the Pet Health customer's pricing up to be in line with Avrio's existing pricing.  His prescription went from $57 to $80 a month.

Are there any other preferred compounding pharmacies that have the same level of quality control and pricing that Pet Health had?  Bonus if we could go back to having flavors added in (Avrio doesn't do that).

~Natalie & Jay in TX

Nov 2002

NRC & NAT 2008

Jay - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Natalie%20and%20Jay

Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1902&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

--
Erica H CA 2021

Starshine Ranch

Mine says peanut butter flavored like it always was.   Maybe you should double check on that.   I didn't notice such an increase but I get 2 bottles, 90 ml each  compounded at the equivalent of 5 mg/ml.  I'm spending so much every two months that I guess I don't pay attention anymore.  yikes!
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Avrio isn’t licensed in Vermont so Mixlab was suggested.  I gather they are located in NYC and LA.  So far everything has worked well.  I have a refill scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which should put the system to a test because I’m not sure any deliveries will be made tomorrow due to snow.  Fortunately I have leeway.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Terri Quinn

I have three Rx prescriptions for compounded pergolide that I fill monthly with Avrio, the buyer of Pet Health.  I used PH for years and was pretty satisfied.  The other day I was refilling and rushed, not bothering to wait for them to provide detailed info on the price increase — thinking how much could the increase possible be?  The answer is 40%.  A forty percent increase!  Needless to say, I’m looking into transferring my prescriptions now. Hopefully this won’t be a widespread pattern across the various pharmacies and is a one-off opportunistic move.

Terri Quinn
CT  2009

Joy V

I just got a refill on Willie's CP pergolide and it increased by $50.  That was almost 60% more than the previous refill - although his dose was increased slightly.  I did speak to someone in order to pay, but wasn't quoted a price and no one told me there would be a price increase either.  This won't be a do-able unfortunately.  I'll have to have my vet call in the RX to another pharmacy.  Does anyone have any recommendations for other pharmacies?  TIA.

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Erica Reimers <Ereimers90@...>

This price increase seems to be very inconsistent.  I was told my horse's 4mg prescription would only go up a total of $30 for a 90 day supply. Not sure why others are going up 50+

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022, 11:36 AM Joy V <jvenham@...> wrote:
I just got a refill on Willie's CP pergolide and it increased by $50.  That was almost 60% more than the previous refill - although his dose was increased slightly.  I did speak to someone in order to pay, but wasn't quoted a price and no one told me there would be a price increase either.  This won't be a do-able unfortunately.  I'll have to have my vet call in the RX to another pharmacy.  Does anyone have any recommendations for other pharmacies?  TIA.

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Erica H CA 2021

ferne fedeli

Interesting!  I remember thinking that my prescription with Avrio was more than what I paid at Pet Health, but had forgotten to check it.  I just checked and and mine went up $14.  I get 90 days of 7mg Pergolide at a time and my last prescription at Pet Health was $246.30 and the following prescription at Avrio was $260.23.  Very strange that the increases are all over the map.  I'm sure there would be an increase at a higher dose, but my horse's dose is higher than the couple I noticed...
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

Point Arena, Mendocino County, California
Case History

Joy V

Edited

Just received my RX refill from Avrio.  The syringe adaptor, once again, does not fit the bottle.  This time, it's much smaller than the opening on the bottle, so if I tried to put it in the opening it would fall right into the bottle.  I'm not using this pharmacy again.  It's too bad Pet Health sold to them.

Has anyone used the previously mentioned Mixlab?  How about any other pet compounding pharmacies near California that an ECIR member has had a good experience with?

TIA.

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Shawn Gould

My horse needs 5 mg pergolide. From Avrio she gets 5 mg per 1 ml. It costs $77.62 for 1 month supply. Funny I haven’t had trouble with the syringe, but I have had trouble with the childproof cap! My last purchase was 1/3.
It was the same price on Dec. maybe I got just under the wire. I called MIXIT. They said same thing would cost $130 a month!!! I’m going to call now and see if there has been an increase in the cost.
--
Shawn and Candy
Dec 2020, Santa Cruz, CA

Joy V

Thank you Shawn, for sharing the info re Mixit and cost.  Eeek!

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

millionairess1989

I contacted Avrio this morning. Mill's on 19.5mg base Pergolide that went up $51 (15%) and Jack's on 1.15mg base Pergolide that went up $15 (28%). Both are 45 day prescriptions.
Needless to say I can't spend $400+ every 1 1/2 months and still afford to feed them.

I used Thriving Pets in the past prior to their move but am open to other options if anyone has suggestions. It will be interesting to see what Avrio does if we all move our prescriptions.

--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 32 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Deb Walker

Desperately following this as well, and maybe members can make a list of pharmacies that we can call?

8/19 - Pet Health Pharmacy 5 mg - 60 days $112.94
11/05 - Avrio - Increase to 8mg - 60 days $186.00 (I thought that was an awfully high increase for 3 more mg)
2/1 - Avrio - 8 mg - 60 days $193.85

That's $81 every 2 months increase which is ridiculous from August to now. Please help.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Patti SoCal 2020

I ordered the capsules from Thriving Pets. I need 6.5 mg capsule which is $2.15 per capsule. Ian, who heads it up and is a compounding pharmacist, is knowledgeable and will answer your questions. He spent a good hour on the phone with me on two separate occasions answering my questions. He is a long-time member of this group. You can look at their website ThrivingPets.com or call 303-333-1899 for information.
--
Patti
SoCal 2020

ferne fedeli

I had Ian, from Thriving Pets, call me today & ask me how much I was paying at Avrio & I told him & he said he could give me the same for about $40 less.  I used to use him many years ago, but am a little wary.  Anybody have any new info on Thriving Pets?

--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

Point Arena, Mendocino County, California
Case History

Erica Reimers <Ereimers90@...>

I got a call from thriving pets today as well, but I was too busy to answer. I will call them tomorrow. I know at one point they weren't licensed to send prescription items to California. Maybe they have resolved that.
My geldings prescription for compounded pergolide at 4mg is only going up $30 for the 90 day supply. Previously paid $180. New cost will be $210. So I'm super confused at how others are going up 40+ per month.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 6:40 PM ferne fedeli <fedelif@...> wrote:
I had Ian, from Thriving Pets, call me today & ask me how much I was paying at Avrio & I told him & he said he could give me the same for about $40 less.  I used to use him many years ago, but am a little wary.  Anybody have any new info on Thriving Pets?

--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

Point Arena, Mendocino County, California
Case History

--
Erica H CA 2021

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Although Thriving Pets does partner with a compounding pharmacy, as a point of clarification - Ian is not a pharmacist.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Laura Risley

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to hear of the struggles with the cost increase.  Unfortunately, I am no longer an employee of Avrio Pharmacy, so I won't be able to explore the increases/discrepancies in more detail.  In general, I know that the prices were not increased in the last couple years at Pet Health and so the cost of making the pergolide might have gotten too close to the price charged.  Also, the cost of the drug itself may have increased and/or labor cost might have increased.  These are possible reasons why Avrio may have increased prices.  As far as discrepancies in the increases, one thing that may be a factor is day supply - Avrio tends to have price breaks with higher quantities, whereas Pet Health did not, so if you were getting a 90 day supply you might see a smaller increase than someone getting 30 day supply.  That's the only thing that comes to mind on the discrepancies.  I wish I could be there to help in more detail.

Heather, you might just give them a call and have them confirm the cost of that 7mg - it does seem like quite a huge increase (the price does seem to be going in proportion to the drug quantity - a little over twice the drug as the 3mg at a little over twice the cost).

Joy, I'm sorry about the adapter troubles.  If you contact Avrio, they can mail you the correct adapter size.  The ribs on the correct adapter might appear to be too big, this ensures a snug fit - the top of the adapter, however, should be flush with the opening of the bottle.  If you request it, they can put the adapter in for you.

Since I am no longer with Avrio, I do not directly know the reason for the increases/discrepancies - these are just my thoughts.  They may be able to give more insight.  I'm sorry that I cannot do more to alleviate your concerns.

I'm here if you guys need me, best wishes.

--
Laura Risley, PharmD
Owner of Bo and Sid

Joy V

Laura, thank you for taking the time to respond to us.  I contacted Avrio and they're sending a new bottle & adaptor.  This time the adaptor was too small and would have fallen into the bottle of medicine if I had tried to put it in the opening.

Hope you're doing well, take care!

Joy

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)