fasting insulin

LJ Friedman

i dont have an ir horse.  my vet 
1. says the big intl group, forgot name, has gone back to fasting for insulin.
2. she uses thyroid l  for ir
thoughts??
--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014 Vista,   Northern  San Diego, CA

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History 
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

1- without knowing what 'big international group' this refers to can't comment on it but even the Equine Endocrinology Group at Tufts doesn't recommend fasting.
2 - is she using Thyro-L for weight loss or does she believe it controls insulin?

Given the wealth of knowledge in this group and the years of experience we have amongst our members I would be more inclined to follow the advice given here than that of the average vet. 

Nancy C

LJ

Unless  you can give us more info....

No.

--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
ECIR Group Inc. President/Treasurer  2021-2022

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

https://wp.me/p2WBdh-O3
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I want to emphasize that no individual, university or group has any authority in what they say beyond what has been demonstrated in published research. The ECIR group recommendations are always in alignment with the published research.  Believe it or not, other groups can't make the same claim.  For example, the recommendation to treat PPID with cyproheptadine when pergolide doses are already at the arbitrary BI/Prascend limit are completely without any basis in fact. Cyproheptadine was shown to be ineffective long ago and there is no new data contradicting that.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001

LJ Friedman

I emailed this document to my vet. She said she was very happy to read it. Thank you for posting it
--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014 Vista,   Northern  San Diego, CA

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History 
Jesse's Photos

Nancy C

Edited

Hi LJ.

For future reference, you can find this info/piece on fasting insulin (and lab "normal") on ecirhorse.org website.

https://www.ecirhorse.org/FastingInsulin-LabRefRanges.php

--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
ECIR Group Inc. President/Treasurer  2021-2022