Requesting advice about Fizzie's trim

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You can recheck 3 weeks after your dose change. If you wait until you are well into the seasonal rise it will be too late. DEFINITELY check insulin. Only about half of IR horses are overweight. Laminitis in both IR and PPID is caused by high insulin.

Mandy Charmam

Thanks You Dr Kellon,

Will get my trimmer to look at your advice.

We've had his ACTH tested and was at 59. Hes on liquid pergolyte. In last month we have changed him to the Prascend tablets with a higher dose of the active ingredient. I thought I'd give that time to take effect and then retest in the next month or so - our Autumn. (this would mean he would have been on capsules for 2 months.) Is that OK?

Re insulin test. He doesn't show any signs of the IR - he is quite lean, no fatty lumps, or the other symptoms etc. Vet said not to test . Happy to get it done though if you think he could be affected by this - even without the obvious symptoms. What would you recommend?

Thank you so much!!

Mandy

--
Mandy C, Macedon Australia, 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mandy%20and%20Fizzie

Have you had his insulin and ACTH tested? The ACTH needs to be mid or low normal in a laminitic animal. He has lost about half of his RF coffin bone so don't expect him moving at much more than a walk but because he's small  there's hope. Trim definitely can use some work https://hoofrehab.com/Pete%20Ramey%20presentation%20%232-%20No%20Laminitis%20Conf.pdf but you also have to control his hormones. If insulin is high, consider ertugliflozin https://bmcvetres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12917-019-1811-2

Mandy Charmam

Dear all

Fizzie has had some improvement. he is now on 2 Prascind tablets, and in cloud boots. I have also had his feed balanced by Carol Layton and am following her advice. Just realised I need to rinse the speedibeet pre and post soaking..ugh always something to learn.

He is still sore though and walks stiff legged. Wondering if there is something wrong or that we could imporve with his trim. Would it be possible to get some advice about this?

I have him on devils claw too, understand that there aren't many other recommended options?

thank you very much for any advice