Chicy New Lateral Rads 2022-03-21

Qhgirl

Vet came to ultrasound Chicy at 9 months snd ex ray front feet. She is barefoot and happy snd baby doing well. Both fronts show 6 degrees rotation and more dole depth. Rads taken 6 weeks post trim and trimmer was due here before vet but is delayed. I have backed up toes 2 times since last trim. I know toes are too long so working on that. Chicy is Full out running and bucking in pasture. Very happy. Back to her normal happy bossy self. I owe all of you my everlasting gratitude. I thought I was going to lose her and her baby. Now here she is happy, healthy and baby growing and doing well. Thank you for all your support and encouragement over the past months. You have taught me a lot about founder and nutrition. And thank you Kim Leitch for holding my hand, providing hay and supplements and constant support to get us through the crisis. Love all of you. Thank you for putting up with me when I was freaking out. Would love to post a video of her so you can see her now.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC

Qhgirl

Edited

Vet had 1 plate she puts foot on so the foot being ex rayed was higher than the other foot.
Here is a FB post I made with a video of her running in pasture. She is the 2nd one through the gate. Hope this is allowed
https://www.facebook.com/1772005006/posts/10209607179934286/?d=n

She gets 15 minutes a day in pasture. This allows her to run and stretch her legs and roll in the grass. Then back to dry lot. Since she is PPID snd not IR I assume a little grass is okay. It has not slowed down her healing and we have not had any flare ups.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Qhgirl

I am hoping for some feedback on if Chicy's bones are realigning.  When she first foundered there was some discussion on her bones/joints. And also the tip of her coffin bone. Will that cause any on going issues?

Thank you.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Hi Janet,

Chicy's toes remain very long and that is still causing broken back angles in both front feet.  It's correctable but her trim still needs tightening up.

Qhgirl

Edited

Thank you. I do not know what "broken back angles" are. How can I recognize them? Isn't some of that toe the laminar wedge? Trimmer coming Saturday. As I mentioned before he is adamant about doing it his way and asking for more will cause him to bail on me. Do not understand why these guys are so set in their ways but he has warned me if I keep telling him what the group is advising he will quit.  When he leaves Saturday I will try to do more if I understand what you say I need to do. Is it the top of toe or under the toe or the laminar wedge which I understood was more cosmetic than anything.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Janet,

I've added a quick mark-up to Chicy's album:

Broken back HPA refers to the alignment of the bones themselves with one another and means that the bony column dips back and down from being in correct alignment. In the mark-up I just added, the pink line show how the bones should line while the purple line follows the actual alignment. See how the purple line dips down and away from the pink line.

If there was bony column rotation, the purple line would bulge above the pink line and the tip of the coffin bone would tilt down. Chicy has none of this.

Laminar wedge is excess material that develops between the dorsal wall and the coffin bone when the wall has pulled away from a tight attachment to the coffin bone. This is defined as capsular rotation, which Chicy does have.

I'm sorry the farrier is being so uncooperative. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon as many members can attest to. I've found that the best way to deal with it is to either smile sweetly, then work on the foot issues after the farrier leavers or fire him. You are the person paying the bill, therefore you are (whether he likes it or not) his employer. You have a right to ask questions and present information for discussion and he should be willing to talk to you, without threatening you into silence. Only you can decide where to draw the lines and what you are willing to deal with and how.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Nancy C

Janet,

Have a look at the photo with three pictures to give you an idea.

https://horseandriderbooks.wordpress.com/2017/09/26/is-my-horses-hoof-pastern-axis-broken-heres-how-you-can-tell/

Not endorsing the article, but the A-B-C pics give you a good look at different external feet.
--
Nancy C in NH

Qhgirl

Lavinia, thank you so much. I see I do need to take some toe off on the under side as well as the top. I will work on this after he leaves Saturday. As you can see from the last hoof pictures I took there is a lot of laminar wedge and it is quite thick. The trimmer will not remove it for some reason. I think getting rid cb of it will make a big difference. And my trimmer will not help me take pictures. Says it takes too much of his time. Yeah, I fired my farrier then found this guy. He told me he did not want me doing anything to her feet " too many cooks in the kitchen" was his exact words. Either he does it all or nothing. Unfortunately, I do not have much to choose from. This guy travels 75 miles to get here snd he does 4 here snd 14 at another stop and charges $60 per horse. If he spends more than 10-20 minutes on a horse he gets cranky.

Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Qhgirl

Thanks Nancy. That does make it crystal clear. ❤️
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Just my 2 cent opinion but any farrier who can 'trim' a horse in 10 minutes isn't going to be doing anything close to a good job.

Lesley Fraser

Even 20 minutes sounds a bit rushed to me, never mind 10….

I remember politely asking one farrier if he could take a bit more off Omar’s toes - they still looked too long to me. He said he would, no problem, and would I just stand Omar next to a drain. When I looked bemused and said, “Pardon?”, he said it was for all the blood to run into, ha ha ha. I politely fired him.

By the way, I’m so glad to hear that Chicy’s had her baby and they’re both doing well.

--
Lesley and over the bridge Omar,
11-2012, Cambridge, UK

Omar - Case History

Sherry Morse

Good job on the firing Lesley and yes, even 20 is 5 minutes a hoof and not quite enough time IMO but maybe he's practicing for a speed competition, like sheep shearing only with trimming horses?

Bobbie Day

Janet
are you able to upload your video to YouTube?
i don’t know about others but the link doesn’t work for me.
I hope you’ll be sharing pictures when the foal debut’s ❤️

glad she’s doing so well, and I would definitely kick that guy to the curb, but I also realize how hard it is to get farriers.
Great job with Chicy
--

Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie

Qhgirl

Lesley - Chicy is 9 months in foal. Baby due end of May.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Qhgirl

Sherry,
He spent 2 hours with her his first visit. So I give him praises for that. And I understand he has helped her a lot. But now she is found well and he is familiar with her he told me some of his trims with horses he does regulArly take only 10 minutes. He does Chic now in about 20. Minutes. I would like for him to do a little more but I need to be careful and not get on his bad side.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Qhgirl

Bobbie, I posted a video of her in my 2nd post in this thread. Thanks for wanting to see my girl. ❤️
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Qhgirl

Or tell me how to put on you tube snd I will. ❤️❤️
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Lesley Fraser

Sorry Janet - I don’t know how I managed to get hold of the wrong end of the stick!
I’m glad both are well. Looking forward to seeing photos after her baby’s been born.

--
Lesley and over the bridge Omar,
11-2012, Cambridge, UK

Omar - Case History

Qhgirl

You tube Video of Chicy running with Woody (one of my other horses).  Not as good as my other one as it somehow became blurry loading to you tube. Chicy is 9 months in foal. 6 months post founder and diagnosed PPID. Layed down without walking for 5 weeks while 3 to 4 months pregnant. She is doing great and continues to improve. So happy she is strong and happy.

https://youtu.be/MBoE3Azd334
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Kirsten Rasmussen

How awful that you have to tiptoe around this guy and he can't take the time to have meaningful unrushed discussions.  He sure sounds like a miserable, overworked person who would be happier not to have your business.  I understand being stuck with what you've got, but maybe you can continue to look around for someone else.  Its a lot easier and faster just to learn to trim yourself than it is to find a farrier (males esp) willing to follow your requests or another trimmer's guidelines.  Touch-ups between trims is the start of learning to do it all yourself...so good for you for taking that initiative!

I'm so glad to hear she's feeling good though, and bucking and running around while 9 months pregnant!  But keep in mind that this is mid-March, when PPID is least likely to rear its ugly head and she will be feeling her best, so its a bit of a breather for you and Chicy.  You might want to get her trim tightened up (and of course her ACTH checked and well-controlled with pergolide) before the end of summer when difficulties would be expected start up again.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History