Laminitis Charlie

Gonnie

Here the reaction of the questions

A little change in feeding brings her out of balance between happy moving and hoof pain.
blood shows high on the edge of IR

coolstance copra is 100% dried, cooked and ground coconut
chemical and GMO free
May be beneficial for conditioning , weight gain , coat shine and hoof health
aflatoxin tested
premium Coconut Meal
the only low NSC high energy,
insulin resistance safe
laminitis safe
safe for anhydrosis horses
she gets about 75 gr a day soaked

Novacam is painkiller  NSAID
--
Gonnie in NL , EU 2023

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

What is her insulin number?

Copra is borderline safe on sugar, way too high in fat and protein amino acid profile is not good.

Hi Gonnie,

Horses and ponies with IR need to have their diets very tightly controlled so only 1.5 - 2% of their ideal weight in hay and any hard feed per day.  Definitely soak the hay if she's better with that being done.  Copra is too high in fat for an IR horse and she needs to not have that any more.  If you can find plain beet pulp (no molasses added) we recommend feeding that after it's been rinsed/soaked/rinsed as a carrier for supplements.  Feed as little as possible to get the supplements in her.

No NSAIDs as they do not help with the pain caused by laminitis due to elevated insulin levels.  You can use Devil's Claw for pain relief if needed.

LJ Friedman

I remember cool stance as not the best product for IR.. but not sure why  . was years ago... I  use  hygain zero instead

Jesse( over the rainbow) and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos