Bella Blood Test Results

Kim Leitch

I received Bella's latest blood test results, and I am concerned. Her case history is utd. ACTH 21.9, insulin 84.13. She has no symptoms, but the insulin number worries me. Her hay is 4% ESC and 0.5% starch, so I'm not soaking it. Her diet is mineral balanced, but she is so picky that I never know from day to day if she is going to get everything she needs. I have upped her exercise; I pony her from my 4-wheeler, 2 miles, 6 days a week. Should I up her Prascend? Any other suggestions? I really don't want to have to go to Metformin, because she is basically a feral pony. I can syringe meds into her with no problem, but I go out of town for several weeks at a time. I don't have anyone to syringe Metformin in and rinse her mouth. I will make it work if it is the only solution.

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Are your day and night temps consistently over 45F? Any grass? Was the blood pulled shortly after exercise? I wouldn't increase her pergolide.

Kim Leitch

Night temps are still below 45. No grass. She was exercised the day before.
My other two IR horses, on the same diet, had excellent insulin levels. I haven’t updated their case histories yet, but will in the next few days.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I would keep up the exercise, try putting her minerals onto moistened hay and retest when it's normal. My main concern now would be what would happen if you go out of town and exercise stops.

Kim Leitch

Dr. Kellon,
Leaving town is my concern, too. I worry on days it is pouring rain and I can’t exercise her.
As to minerals on hay, she stops eating her hay completely. I change her feed one way or another every couple of days (moisture level, TBC to Stabul 1 ratios, etc.) I would guess she averages getting 3/4 of her minerals, I can syringe the rest.
I will be leaving town for two weeks this Summer, should I consider Metformin while I’m gone?

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The metformin won't do her any good if she won't eat it and refusals are common. Can you arrange for it to be syringed in prior to eating? I would just stop the minerals while you are away. If you can't get a reliable system going, consider lower dose, 150 mg, canagliflozin while you are gone.

Kim Leitch

Thank you, Dr. Kellon.
Bella tolerates syringing, that’s how I have to give her Prascend.