Sudden onset of stallion behavior in 30 yr old gelding

Cathie Vincent

My 30 yr old PPID gelding is suddenly acting like a stud and very possessive of my mare, threatening my other gelding. This herd has been together for over 2 yrs without issues until this Spring. I read that issues with the pituitary May cause this change. What should I do?
--
Cathie
February 2018

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Has he been on the same 1 mg dose of pergolide for 10 years? Have you checked ACTH since 2017?

Cathie Vincent

He gets tested every year no changes.

--
Cathie
February 2018
Whidbey Island in WA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cathie%20and%20Chief

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You should probably at least get testosterone testing then to rule out a possible malignancy producing it. Vitex agnus-castus could be a very effective treatment but it  can interfere with your pergolide. Where are you getting ACTH tested?

Hi Cathie,

Could you please update your case history with test results/diet/weight?  Is his IR well controlled at this point?

On Sunday, May 8, 2022, 02:11:27 PM EDT, Cathie Vincent <cjv10@...> wrote:

He gets tested every year no changes.

--
Cathie
February 2018
Whidbey Island in WA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cathie%20and%20Chief

Cathie Vincent

Blood test through Cornell. He seems to have settled own now that her cycle is finished. It will be interesting to see if he gets worked up next month. Mean while I'll talk to my vet. Thank you
--
Cathie
February 2018
Whidbey Island in WA