Update on Cayuse

CH is current. New Cornell labs explain a lot about Cayuse's active laminitis: insulin through the roof. Current plan:
1. doing what we can to remove the triggers (increase pergolide, resume Invokana) to try to get control of insulin.
2. try to take the breakover back on all 4 hooves and leave other trim issues until Tuesday.
3. take new lateral Xrays on Tuesday to see the current state of the feet.
5. boots and pads on all 4 hooves along with standing wraps anytime she can manage for me to put them on. They really helping swelling.
6. Sore no more on the swollen hocks and lots of massage, grooming and sponging, which she loves.

If I'm overlooking anything, please let me know. Appreciate everyone's concern and input.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Maxine McArthur

Cass, you are an amazing horse mum and doing everything you can to help Cayuse. Sometimes they don't make it easy for us. I was just thinking about the high insulin and your other post indicating you were going to investigate if any mare hormone issues could be a contributing factor. Is the ovarian ultrasound Dr Kellon mentioned a possibility or does the timing just not work with the vet?
I'm so glad she likes the massage, grooming and sponging--it helps us to know we are helping our horse feel a bit better. In the past when Indy has been tight on her back, hips, glutes, I have wrung out a towel soaked in hot water with a couple of drops of lavender oil, then laid the towel over her rump and covered it with a light piece of material to keep the heat in. This seemed to help relax tense muscles. (Pretty sure this was a tip from Dr K many years ago...)

Keep us updated.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Thanks, Maxine. Mare issues are definitely on the table, but we’re stuck in the Regumate vs estradiol loop for now. Tuesday will let us know where we stand after we see the new damage to the hooves. I saw today when changing her boots that the soles on her hinds pancaked - lost all concavity. That is concerning.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Is she on Regumate? Progesterones predominate during pregnancy, PMS and menopause. They impair immunity, worsen insulin sensitivity, block estrogen effects on the brain.

No, she is not on Regumate.