Acupuncture and ATCH and IR

Qhgirl

Can electro acupuncture or acupuncture help with IR and or ACTH.  They have a vet who does this at the equine maternity hospital where she is staying. Wondering if this could be beneficial.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Janet,

Would be nice if it did but no, it won't help.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

billie hinton

I wouldn’t do it *instead of* other treatments, but as an adjunct therapy acupuncture has had measurable, observable benefits for my 33-year old with PPID who also had EPM two years ago. Has also had benefits for two of my dogs and one of our cats for various issues. After being needle-phobic my entire life, I started acupuncture for myself after seeing Keil Bay’s response to it two years ago (he still gets it monthly). It has helped me with several issues and I see nothing to lose if your mare is already in a place that offers it.

Billie in NC

Qhgirl

Billie, She is going to have a baby any day and off pergolide so she can produce milk. I have had a acupuncture and so did one of my geldings who would sleep during his electro a puncture treatment. Just looking for a way to help her feel a little better while waiting for baby.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

billie hinton

I missed that post so thank you for filling me in! I would give it a try. I have seen acupuncture settle down my very active/high energy dog who was otherwise going to have to be medicated due to a hip injury, and the effects lasted for weeks between acupuncture treatments. Did the acupuncture help the hip injury, his over-excitability, or both? I do not know, by everything was better with the acupuncture.

Keil Bay had acupuncture 2x/week and then weekly during the worst of the EPM when he was on Marquis + an entire protocol of supplements. He had tested into PPID range the same time he tested positive and was symptomatic for EPM, but I didn’t start Prascend until he was done with the worst of the die-off as I felt like his system had enough to deal with w/o also going onto a medication known to have some side effects. I can’t say the acupuncture made the difference in his ACTH level, but the overall issues he was experiencing were measurably better after each acupuncture session. He goes into a relaxed trance when he gets it now and his weakness behind is noticeably less when he gets it monthly. His ACTH level has remained in the upper teens - 20 for two years now on 1 tablet of Prascend. I test every third month when he gets his other blood panel done. Again, I have no way of knowing if the acupuncture is acting on PPID or not, but I am certain it is doing something that is helping him overall.

Thankfully my horse vet also does dogs and cats, so when she comes each month for Keil Bay, I can plug in whoever else needs it.

Billie in NC