L-Phenylalanine and L-Tyrosine

Qhgirl

Thank you, Dr Kellon. I was hoping to find something Chicy can be on while nursing her foal. She is due any day and doing well at the moment.
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC

Just to add to Nancy's answer, a recent study showed that dopaminergic neurons from horses with PPID are exhausted of dopamine, which is reversed when horses are on pergolide. In other words, they are already dancing as fast as they can so these nonessential amino acid substrates won't help.

Nancy C

Hi Janet

If found this message response from Dr Kellon on the subject in the archives:

Would you consider supplementing L-Tyrosine & phenylalanine useful in horses with PPID?
Dr Kellon's reply: These amino acids are interconvertible and required for dopamine synthesis. We've actually had a few members try this and there was no effect, likely because the problem is death of the neurons, not amino acid deficiency.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/148896

--
Nancy C in NH

Qhgirl

Do L-Phenylalanine and or L-Tyrosine offer any benefit to a PPID horse?