Cayuse's latest rads are uploaded

In general, we're seeing overall improvement. A good day seems to be followed by a bit of a backslide. She's still footsore in front, no surprise since no real changes have been made to the trim yet. She's not spending unusual amounts of time down in the stall, is returning to routines.

The laterals taken on May 17 are in Cayuse's Photo Album. I can't see much change from the rads 2 weeks earlier, but I'd really appreciate informed opinions. I haven't been able to shorten the toes more than a tiny bit in front because she's not especially cooperative and because her hoof walls are like granite. I'm working on desensitizing her to the angle grinder, slow going because I'm a klutz with it. It jerks around on her hard hoof walls. Hopefully finer grit discs won't grab as much. I'll work on hoof photos tomorrow with a helper.

Phyto Quench Pellets with Devil's Claw arrived and I'm doing a fast taper off banamine. I'll treat for ulcers too, since I suspect that may be behind her rejection of BP. If that's the issue, it should be clearer in 3 or 4 days.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Cass,

I don't see any real changes either, except that she is standing much more normally on the RH, rather than having the dropped fetlock. Sole depth on hinds is good, thin on the fronts. Toes need to come back on all four - more at ground level than off the dorsal wall. Want to focus on setting the breakover back further, so if you can get a few swipes on the sole-side of the toe at a 45* angle, that will help.

Angle can grinders take some getting used to. Yes, the higher grit will move more smoothly than the more abrasive ones. Practice on a piece of 2x4 to get a feel for how to handle it and how it responds when you apply it at different angles. If you work with it on the wood while near her, she can get used to the sound near her. Be prepared to make light, quick passes initially so that it only touches the hoof briefly, then is lifted off. Gradually increase the time in contact with the hoof.

You could try a Dremel to add the underneath bevel - quieter, lighter, more maneuverable. Takes quite a bit longer, tho.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The 5/22 films actually look better than 5/17! There may have been some resolution of edema in that interim because her horn-lamellar zone and apparent rotation (which was minimal anyway) are much better.

It helps sometimes to remember that laminitis flares are similar to banging your thumb with a hammer or catching it in a car door.  The initial pain is tremendous because there is nowhere for that swelling to go.

Toes are actually looking good. You could put more bevel on there, getting breakover back closer to the CB.  Also bevel the walls all around to help drive up the CB.

My error. Looking at films from the wrong year.

Agree there is not much change but the interface between sensitive and nonsensitive laminae is clear now where it wasn't before.  Another indication of less edema.  Still think your toe length is backed up enough but you need a sharper bevel.

Thanks! I tried the angle grinder on a 2x4 and it was like sanding balsa wood compared to concrete aggregate. I’ll keep at it and try my Dremel.

Today she’s either moving in slow motion or down in the stall. I expect we have NSAID rebound and/or abscessing because without boots she looks like she’s trying to stand on the outside of the RF.

I have a small wedge pad to try behind if I can bring back the breakover enough to get the boots back on. She stands with dirt or shavings banked up under her hinds, so I think a little wedge may be more comfortable. Lots to do!