Water with high iron

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Jean,

We don't know enough about iron intake and insulin to answer your question. My guess (only) is that it may have had an impact but I have no data to support that. Is Snowman's diet mineral balanced? If not, you should definitely get the KSU iron panel of iron, TIBC and ferritin, plus a hay analysis, to see if iron is an issue.

jean banville

Hello all,
Just prior to Snowman’s Laminetic episode our water softener failed and our water was saturated with enough iron to be visible in the water. This lasted 2 weeks. Should I have labs drawn to check Snowman’s (and my other 4 horses) for iron levels? Could this have been a contributing factor to his episode?
Best,
Jean B and Snowman

--
*Jean B from NH