Question about metformin

Erin Isaachsen

Wise ECIR group members--

What is metformin and how/when is it used?  I see it mentioned often in various posts on this site.  Is it used to treat PPID, EMS, or both?  I was under the impression that EMS can only be treated with proper diet, trim and exercise.  PPID always has to be medicated with pergolide in addition to proper D, T and E.  So, where does metformin come into the picture?

Thanks.
--
- Erin

June 2022, Aldie, VA

Darla  2009 15.2H Draft-x Mare
Niles  1998 38" Mini Gelding
Sparky  2007 37" Mini Gelding

Nancy C

Metformin is a drug that lowers glucose and increases insulin sensitivity with the hope of lowering insulin over all.

It is most often, and perhaps most effectively, used in attack events, as it has been found for the effect to wear off over time.

More info in this folder https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/4%20Insulin%20Resistance/Metformin

--
Nancy C in NH