How to say "thank-you". Please help.

Karolina Grad NRC+ 01/2017

Voted!

I am so amazed with dr Kellon's knowledge about horses welfare and nutrition. For every question she has an answer.  I have learned so much from her and appreciate the patience and willingness to spread good knowledge based on facts and science. Thanks to dr Kellon my horse feels much better and I was able to help so may horses in Poland thru proper nutrition.

Thank you dr Kellon!
Your input in horses health and comfort all over the worls is absolutely exceptional!
You are exceptional <3

--
Karolina
Grad NRC+ 01/2017

Joan Hornby

Me too, I wish I could do more to show my appreciation for everything Dr. Kellon and the rest of the volunteers do.

Joan
--
Joan Hornby
UK North West

Joy

Karen Anderson

I was happy to vote!  And grateful to show support!

Dr. Kellon has not only helped educate me, but now my vet (to whom I forward some of Dr. K's messages) is more receptive to being proactive in terms of increasing the dose of compounded pergolide based on the horse's clinical signs.

--
Karen and Fhinland in Maryland

Case Study:   https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Fhinland

marian kelly

Done!
On Friday, June 24, 2022, 11:40:43 AM EDT, Nancy C <threecatfarm@...> wrote:

To All Great ECIR Members --

"Good works” are selfless acts of giving back to the horse, for the sake of the horse and people they serve. ~ AAEP

That describes our head volunteer, Dr. Eleanor M. Kellon to a tee. Times ten. Times 1000.

Over the almost 20 years that I have known and worked with her, Dr. Kellon has continually awed me on almost a daily basis.  Her passion for the welfare of all equines, her knowledge of equine physiology,  her ability to cut through the noise, her willingness to patiently teach and to continue to learn, is a skill-set list second to none. All combine to provide support for caregivers during what is too often the very, very difficult experience of dealing with equine metabolic issues.

Animal health company, Zoetis and the AAEP are seeking nominations for deserving veterinarians to be recognized through their “Good Works for Horses” campaign.  https://aaep.org/good-works-nomination

The ECIR Group has nearly 10,000 members. I know each and every one of us can provide evidence of how the equines in our care have been helped by Dr. Kellon. Here is but a small sample:

  • I love and respect all your hard work. THANK YOU.
  • Thanks for being there and for your continued pursuit of ending this difficult condition.
  • Thank you for solid information and the willingness to share it.
  • Such a great resource. I have learned so much and appreciate the continued learning and support which allows me to better support my clients.
  • Thank you for providing support and information on probably one of the most important issues for the equines in our care.
  • The Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group has been so helpful to me and my horses, in so many ways. A thousand thanks to Dr. Kellon, and all of the dedicated volunteers!
  • I was "in the dark" when my first horse had PPID about thirty years ago.  I am not "in the dark" anymore. Now I have a highly IR mare that is thriving because of your knowledge and dedication to education. She would not be alive without you. My learning curve has been steep and it's a good feeling to not feel "out of control". Grateful every day!
  • “I knew there had to be a better way to manage this. I remembered reading an article in a magazine written by Eleanor M. Kellon, VMD. This is where I found the link to the ECIR group. Within 24 hours of joining, I received the ECIR protocol, had one-on-one help and access to the files. This is the advice that saved [my horse] and many others.”
  • [My horse] would probably not be here today if I hadn't found Dr. Kellon and the ECIR group. I was so overwhelmed and couldn't believe that this journey would ever have a happy ending. I'm very grateful for all this support. It seemed like there was way too much to learn. I worried all the time. I lost sleep over it. All that is a blur now.
Please join me in nominating Dr. Kellon today for AAEP/Zoetis “Good Works for Horses” at https://aaep.org/good-works-nomination and let both the AAEP and Zoetis know just how just much we all appreciate her. Nominations are open through August, but don’t wait!

Please note: Dr Kellon’s email is drkellon “at” gmail “dot” com. You can submit your nomination without a phone number. In the comments, I told them to contact me if/when a number was needed.

And if you would, please let us know you have voted by hitting “like” for this post on the ECIR groups.io webpage.

Many, many thanks to each of you.
--
Nancy C in NH

Marian and Lupin
October 2017, Maryville TN
Lupin Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marian%20and%20Lupin    .
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10302   .

Cindy Giovanetti

Voted.  Can’t imagine where my horse would be without Dr. K’s expertise.

Cindy

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Jensmccabe

Done!!!

"Dr. Kellon helped me save my gelding Elko's Eye of Odin. He had a rather unique onset of winter laminitis, almost no other symptoms indicating he was EMS. Thanks to a referral to Dr. Kellon's ECIR groups (on Facebook and ECIRhorse.org) I had metabolic panels drawn for both of my BLM Mustangs - Bella, a 16yo mare, and Odin, a 12yo gelding. BOTH had sky high ACTH, high insulin, and leptin. She personally helped me determine that I could fly my gelding to our new home in Maryland so that his recuperation could continue, and she gives this time equally to so many of us who have very tricky questions. Thanks to Dr. Kellon's personal crusade to ensure that Cushings/PPID and EMS/IR are no longer by default death sentences that lead to crippling laminitis, pain, and eventual euthanasia, my mare Bella is now rideable, and my gelding Odin is recovering using the ECIR recommendations she put into place and volunteers in her groups share with horse owners like myself. I cannot emphasize this enough - no single equine vet practicing alive right now is doing more for the science of horse health than Dr. Eleanor Kellon. She deserves this award, and then some. Thank you for accepting this nomination on her behalf, from my horses, myself, and thousands more like us. "
--
Jen McCabe
Laytonsville, Maryland

Sydney

Nomination for Dr. K submitted! She deserves this award and I am honored to be able to do my part. Thank you so much for making us all aware of this nomination opportunity
--
Sydney J in BC Canada 2020

JULIA BARTELS

I voted and cherish Dr. Kellon and all the Volunteers more than I can adequately express!

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

Meghan de Bruijn

Done and totally true! Without fining this group, I would be really struggling with my mighty IR Mustang! So much valuable information and compassionate people!

Thank you!
--
Meghan B 2022
Park City, Utah

Napoleon Case History  Link:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Meghan%20and%20Napoleon

Napoleon Photo Link:

Judy

Done
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to nominate this unparalleled woman!
Judy Stiranka
Mom to a mother and son with laminitis that are still here thanks to her and her website!
281-507-1461

On Jun 24, 2022, at 10:40 AM, Nancy C <threecatfarm@...> wrote:

[...]

Lorna Cane

Oh,groan. Yes,of course I did!!
Like button.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Nancy C

Lorna, I think you mean LIKE button.

Side bar: FYI - messages are now editable.

To add to the steps list, one needs to be logged in to hit LIKE.
--
Nancy C in NH

Lorna Cane

Edited

Ann, and others looking, go to  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/279310
This is Nancy's message,at the bottom of which is the LIKE button,clickable.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

A Growley

Nancy, I voted, but do not know how to 'like" the message in the group. The like symbol is black, and un-clickable.
Thanks, Ann Growley

On Friday, June 24, 2022, 11:40:42 AM EDT, Nancy C <threecatfarm@...> wrote:

[...]

AnnG
October  2021, NW PA
Case History

pastedGraphic.png

ECIR Case History Form

Note this form is still getting the kinks worked out.  Please email LeeAnne at  ECIR.Archives@...  with any problems or questions about the form.

***Links to Groups.io will require a password.  Avoid this hassle by right clicking on the link and then copying and pasting the link location into your browser’s address bar.

Tables within this Document:

Stabling and Turnout     Weight                  Work Level         Feed & Supplements         Medication              Hoof Issues                       Problems and Issues      Blood Work           Lyme Disease     IR Calculator Results        KSU Iron Panel         Mare Issues                    Muzzle Info                   Comments             Uploading Rules & Instructions                   Updating Instructions

Owner’s Name

City/County/State/Country

Date Form First Filled Out

Ann

Pa

Link to Photos

Additional Link(s)

Date of Latest Update

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

Equine’s Name

Sex

Foaling Date

Chevy

Gelding

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Known

Aprox

Breed

Height in Hands

Ideal Weight in Pounds

TWH

15.2

1000?

BEFORE GOING ANY FARTHER:

How you present your information directly impacts the speed and quality of the support you and your equine receive.  Follow the Uploading Rules & Instructions found at the end of this document. IF YOU ARE IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION, get the current basics filled in and your case history uploaded.  Once things have calmed down you can add details at any time.

* FILL IN AS MUCH BACKGROUND AND CURRENT INFORMATION AS YOU CAN. Be truthful and as accurate as possible. The Support Team cannot help if you are telling us what you think we want to hear instead of what is really happening.

* WE NEED THE FULL YEAR-MONTH-DAY when a management activity is started, changed and/or stopped. If a stop or change date isn’t entered it is assumed that what is entered is the current routine. If you are unsure of a date:  Use ~ in front of the approximate number (~1909).  Clarify the time of year: Sp = spring, S = summer, F = fall and W = winter.

  • THE TABLES ARE FOR NUMBERS ONLY. Unless asked for in the header row, do not enter dialogue. Clarifying details go in the Comments Section.

  • WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF ROWS: Do not delete previously entered information or expand existing cells.  Removal of info defeats the purpose of a history. Expanding cells renders the data unreadable when viewed on other programs or devices. Please ADD ROWS. If you need help doing this see the Updating Instructions below.

* If you are getting assistance with your case history: Cells with yellow highlights mean vital info is missing. Cells with orange highlighting mean a volunteer has added the info based on what they think was originally meant.

Thanks so much for your patience in filling out the form.  It is complicated but so worth the effort.

Weight                   *Use the link to the body score condition chart to compare photos of body size to your equine

Date

Body Condition Score

Fat/Normal/Thin?

Current Weight in Pounds

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

By Weight Tape

By Estimate

By Calculator

By Truck Scale

Fat

6-7

Fat

1080

Stabling and Turn Out                                                              *Details, if needed, go in Comments Section

Is equine living at owner’s home Yes/No?

Yes

Enclosure

Date Started or Changed

Size

(define if meters or feet)

Hours per Day

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

All Year

Winter

Summer

Stall with run

Stall

Run

8

90ft

4200

Box stall

Dry Lot

Paddock Paradise

Turnout/paddock  < 1 acre

Pasture  - 1 to 3 acres

Pasture  ~ 4 acres

Muzzle Information

Is equine muzzled for turn out?

Brand or Type

of Muzzle

Is muzzle totally closed?

If only partially muzzled during turn out, please list

Date Started or Changed

Yes

No

Yes

No

Hours with

 Hours without

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Yes

Tough one easy breathe

No

Work Level                                          If your type of work isn’t listed please add it to or edit the Type of Work column.

Type of Work

Date Started or Changed

Days per week

Total hours or distance per week

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

No work (confined to stall)

No work  (pasture ornament)

Hand Walking

Ground work

3-4

1.0

Arena work - light

Arena – skill work, jumping

Trail/Driving – walk/trot

Three

1.5-3.0

Trail/Driving – walk/trot/canter

Hill work, light jumping

Endurance, eventing

Packing, heavy ranch work

Being ponyied

One

.75-1.0

Medication                                                                              *Details if needed, go in the Comments Section

                             *If your equine is on Pergolide please ADD or UPDATE your information in the ECIR Pergolide Dosage Database

Name of Medicine

Type/Brand

Amount  per Day

Date Started or  Changed

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Feed and Supplements                                                                                         *Details if needed, go in the Comments Section

                          * Use standard units of measurement not variable sized containers such as coffee cans, scoops or bales or flakes.

Current Ration

Type/Brand

Amount

(lbs, kg oz?) per Day

Date Started or  Changed

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Hay Type 1

Mixed grass

Hay Type 2

Hay Type 3

Has hay been balanced by an ECIR trained balancer?

Yes

No

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

No

Pasture

Yes?

No?

No

Hours:

Beet Pulp

Type

R/S/R

Yes/No?

Without molasses?

 Yes/No

Weight/Amount

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Dry

Wet

Grain/Concentrate/Pellets

wellSolve L/S

2.5-3lb

Purine Enrich Plus

1-1.5lb

Supplements

Horseshoer’s Secret

 3oz

Joint Supplements

Salt (block, loose, iodized?)

Red block

White block

Other (Herbs, etc.)

Misc (Flax, rice bran, oil)

Treats

Purine low starch, low carb

6-8treats/day clicker training

Problems and Issues (suspected or diagnosed)                             *Details, if needed, go in Comments Section

Problem or Issue

(Symptom Example Photos)

Date noted or changed

Observed by

Owner Vet or Farrier?

Blood work

 or other diagnostics done?

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Cushing’s Disease (PPID)

Insulin Resistance

Hypothyroid

Weight Gain

Owner

Weight Loss

Owner & vet

Obesity

Owner & vet

Bulging or Patchy Fat

Owner & farrier

Bulges over Eyes

Owner & farrier

Cresty Neck

Owner & vet

Shedding

Excessive Thirst

Owner

Excessive Urination

Owner

Lethargy

Sensitivity to Being Touched

Udder or Sheath Enlargement

Owner & farrier

Poor Appetite

Ravenous Appetite

Owner

Frequent Infections

Skin Allergies

Goopy Eyes

Vaccine Reactions

List other Non-Hoof Issues:

Date

Observed by

Owner Vet or Farrier?

Blood work

 or other diagnostics done?

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Hoof Issues                                                                                  *Details, if needed, go in Comments Section

Problem

Date

Hoofs Affected

LF, RF,

LH, RH?

X-rays or photos available?

Please provide link(s)to image(s)

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Laminitis

Rf

Yes

Rf

Yes

Founder (rotation or sinking)

White Line Disease

Thrush

Abscess

Rf

No

Injuries, lameness or other?

Date

Hoofs Affected

LF, RF,

LH, RH?

X-rays or photos available?

Please provide link(s)to image(s)

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Lameness rf with hoof crack half way from bottom

Rf

No

Lameness rf with access blowout

Rf

Intermittent lameness all summer

Rf

Yes

Blood Work Results

Supply all the information asked for.

Results should be grouped by test, listing oldest at top.

Note: Lab Units and Lab Normals are required. They are given in your blood work results.

When you run out of rows: DO NOT just expand existing cells. Please add rows or the dates will not line properly when viewed on different devices.

                                                                                                                        *Details, if needed, go in Comments Section

Date

Time

00:00 Am/Pm

Outside Temperature

Name of

Test

Name of Lab

Results

Lab Units

Required

Lab Normals

Required

Year

0000

Mo

00

Dy

Insulin

Glucose

ACTH

Leptin

T3

T4

Free T3

Free T4

IR Calculator Results                     Click here and insert your blood work results to obtain the requested information below

Date of Blood Test

Proxy

IR Calculator Result

IR Status

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

G:I

RISQI

MIRG

Leptin

G:I

RISQI

MIRG

Leptin

G:I

RISQI

MIRG

Leptin

G:I

RISQI

MIRG

Leptin

KSU Iron Panel Results

Date

Test

Results

Lab Units

Lab Normals

Year

0000

Month

00

Day

00

Serum Iron

mcg/dL

75-228

Serum Iron

mcg/dL

75-228

Serum Iron

mcg/dL

75-228

Serum Iron

mcg/dL

75-228

TIBC

mcg/dL

231-455

TIBC

mcg/dL

231-455

TIBC

mcg/dL

231-455

TIBC

mcg/dL

231-455

Ferritin

ng/mL

43-261

Ferritin

ng/mL

43-261

Ferritin

ng/mL

43-261

Ferritin

ng/mL

43-261

Cornell Lyme Disease Equine Multiplex Results

Date

Results