Feeding elderly horse with Cushings

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I would switch him to a diet of 100% soaked  Triple Crown Naturals Timothy Balance Cubes and if your dealer doesn't have them and won't order them contact Ontario Dehy for availability directly from them in your area.  Start with 1.5 pounds of cubes per 100 lbs of body weight and soak with enough water to make them soft. Do not discard any extra water. I would increase his pergolide by another 1 mg, at least.

Hi Jean,

We really need a case history to help you out.  If you did not change anything after getting that test result there's no reason to think that a test now will show a positive change in his insulin level unfortunately.  You may want to recheck his ACTH now in case you need to make another adjustment before we hit the full rise.

Please note that Triple Crown Senior is not a suitable feed for an IR horse with an insulin over 200. Has your hay been tested?  If not, are you soaking it?  Is there a reason you're not using beet pulp (rinsed/soaked/rinsed) or Stabul 1 as a carrier for any supplements Snowman is on?  How much does he weigh?  How much should he weigh?  You can replace the grain with beet pulp, Stabul 1 and/or Triple Balance Timothy Balance Cubes (fed at a 3:4 ratio to hay) which should help bring his insulin down.  If it's still elevated even with a diet change you'll need to look at medication to get it down but you do not want to continue with it being over 200 which is well over the danger zone for laminitis.

jean banville

Hello all,
I have happily watched Snowman’s steady recovery from laminitis using the principals I have learned from Dr Kellon et al. Syringing the Prescend has helped insure that he gets it! He gets a trim every 4 weeks and has no soreness. His insulin was 200 in April, should I retest to see where we are at this point?
I am hoping for guidance about feeding a nearly 33 year old Arab gelding with onset of Cushings in the last 2 years. He does not have much grinding surface left although he does eat hay with some quidding. His body condition score is 5-6 and he is active and lightly ridden. My initial attempt to manage increased (70’s) ACTH with Prescend ended in failure with SEVERE veil sx including lack of appetite and constant liquid stool. I switched to Chasteberry (Mad Barn) with good effect on energy and appetite and GI function. Vet checked ACTH in April and it was in the 40’s. Although my vet was happy with the ACTH, I realize that this group considers that value still high, so I started APF Pro 6 mls once daily for 3 days and restarted Prescend 1/4 tab with titration every 4 days until we reached a full 1 mg. This time he is doing great with NO side effects. When should I recheck ACTH? This guy has never been foot sore or showed any subclinical signs of laminitis.
Also, his current feed is 6-7 lbs of Triple Crown Senior Gold soaked and divided into 2 feedings with 10 lbs of first cut Timothy.
My other 4 are on Stabul 1 2 cups a day as a carrier for Equi VM and Timothy hay in 2 feedings.
Is there any alternative to the TC Senior Gold that would be recommended?
Thanks a million!
Jean B from NH

--
*Jean B from NH