WAS: Hooves look terrible ?? Need asssistance NOW: How to decide what and when

Nancy C

Hi Karen

I am responding here and not to your private note because I honestly prefer these conversation to be kept on the group for the benefit of others. I am glad you posted here too. There are so many in exactly your situation, or just ahead, or just behind you on the same path.

Sometimes it is hard for members to remember, or to see, that each of us was brought here by a horse just like Apollo.  He in fact looks very much like my current EMS TWH gelding who is reaping the benefit of what my Morgan Beau taught me from 2003 to 2016. Beau was IR, PPID, iron over loaded and his insulin was never controlled. He was always in a smoldering laminitis, high-insulin state, about to tip into a founder event. We were able to keep him happy and in work for most of his life. It was very hard but very rewarding work. I am so very happy folks now have the choice to use Invokana. What a blessing.

Feeling exhausted is part of the program sometiems, I am afraid.  But there are moments when your horse just lifts you up in ways you never thought possible. Have a look at Freitag's video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXp4ez06yYw

When looking at Freitag, I always think of the folks who worked so hard to help him, and this quote from Dr Kellon:

“You know those credit card commercials that run through a bunch of things with price tags and end with a moment that's "priceless"? That is truly how I feel every time a new member comes here frazzled or wired and strung out after being told their horse, pony, donkey or mule should be euthanized and then later tells us about the light coming back in their eyes, those first voluntary steps out of a stall, the first spontaneous trot, buck or canter or when the feet start to concave and a hundred other positive signs of getting well. Most of all, it's about the animals.”

Eleanor M Kellon, VMD

I know you know that, all of the folks who have stepped up to nominate Dr Kellon for the AAEP vet award (see posts just today) are but a small testament to the positive effects ECIR has had on their equines over the last 20+ years. More uplifting stories here https://www.ecirhorse.org/success-stories.php

None of us can really speak to the emotional foundation of your particular situation and what you can or cannot do as your horse's advocate. In the end the decisions of what to do, when to do it, or when to end doing it, of course, lies with individual caregivers. The ECIR Group is here to point the way to what is possible -- what has worked successfully for so many others -- and that is why I assume you started this thread. I read that you were looking for help from folks who have been on this path before you, so I chimed in.

I hope some of my experience and the links I shared are helpful.
--
Nancy C in NH