Hoof Markups Needed Lavenia for farrier

Lori Ricigliano

Please if you could give me hoof markups for my mare Mya - I need to get her trimmed correctly by farrier ASAP - she has /had absess in toe portions as you can see - she is very sore - I’m starting the rest of the protocol and bloodwork is going to Cornell she is currently on thyroid replacement- I now have to pull her slowly off of bute - here is her folder- THANK YOU  :

On Jul 6, 2022, at 8:06 PM, Lori Ricigliano via groups.io <Riciglianofarms@...> wrote:

I’m so sorry I’m trying to figure out how to best work this site - So I apologize in advance as I’m sure im not doing it correctly-  my vet & farrier have said they will give one more try to help me since I got a letter from Andrea from the laminitis site referring me to you & her offering some guidance to a better trim .

My mare is Mya - a 19 yr old half Arabian /half saddlebred mare .

This is my last chance to save my mare & learn so I don’t have to go thru this terrible disease again with two other insulin resistant horses I also have . (I had blood sent to Cornell ) I can upload their results when my vet sends them tomorrow- she didn’t send Myas as she thought her definitely metabolic - but saved the plasma she pulled in may. In case we needed it

My mare Mya foundered Aug 2020 - her thyroid was tested & she was found to have a thyroid issue and was put on thyroid L  - she was and still is on this 2gr a day .  Her last thyroid was <.05 fall 2020 .

This founder occurred in aug 2020 after giving her vaccinations. Her right foot appeared to have foundered in the past - she was in good shape - fit - working every day - except she had a somewhat creasty neck not bad but it was there . She had shoes on during this founder & she ended up absessing out her coronet bands & after removing her shoes she did absess thru soles and coronet band absessing ceased .  I did the epson salt soaks - packing feet - had absessing clear only to reappear - then we started using cloud boots and we change them daily - so some of the absessing was better but still more in the toe but at least she can walk somewhat with them. But we aren’t getting better  .

We did X-rays after this happened about 3 times - the most recent we just did in June . I did find out how to upload to your site under Mya X-rays & then I also uploaded photos of her feet to your photo site -under Mya rt foot mya left for -  I’m so sorry if I’m doing this wrong .

She is currently on 2gr bute am & pm given with maalox to buffer her stomach- esmaprazole every day to help her stomach - 1 scoop of Equinity - unsweetened wet beet pulp 2x a day & about a cup am & pm Safechoice special care pellets (10% starch x 3% sugar) along with mature alfalfa /grass hay . She has always been on alfalfa.  The hay has not been “tested” yet but is mature /stemmy.

after quickly looking at your site I see some issues I must correct- please let me know what blood tests I should request for her now - I see I should pull her from bute gradually - I will look at that in how to do - and can you look at her hoof X-rays / feet for what I should do ?

I have never felt so helpless - so much conflicted information & the answer I keep getting is put her down . She is bright - tries to walk & enjoys her friends and eating - but she is painful more on her right than left -

Any help is appreciated-
What blood work from Cornell should I request ?
medicine for her - metaformin ?

& trim for her - both my farrier & vet say they will give it one more try if I bring them new information to do - X-rays in file mya X-rays

PLEASE help - I’m sorry if I’m not doing this correctly yet .
Lori

--
Lori R in MN - 2022

--
Lori R in MN - 2022

Sherry Morse

Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for consolidating the photo albums. One more hoop for you to do with the album link though - can you please add it to your signature?

To do that:

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window where you typed your name and location in.

3) Click on the empty line below your location and paste the link to your photo album (
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=276519) and add a space after it to make it 'live'

4) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

Lori Ricigliano

I hope this is correct ?
I would love to have the hoof markups for my farrier -

I’m awaiting the tests from Cornell to come back but I need to correct her hoof angle asap
She is in pain

I got her thyroid results today it says TT4 3.3pg/dl

Is this normal ?
Thank you
Lori

On Jul 7, 2022, at 8:45 PM, Sherry Morse via groups.io <sherry_morse@...> wrote:

Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for consolidating the photo albums. One more hoop for you to do with the album link though - can you please add it to your signature?

To do that:

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window where you typed your name and location in.

3) Click on the empty line below your location and paste the link to your photo album (
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=276519) and add a space after it to make it 'live'

4) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

Lori Ricigliano

Trying again - I’m so sorry I’m bad at computers

I hope this is correct ?
I would love to have the hoof markups for my farrier -

I’m awaiting the tests from Cornell to come back but I need to correct her hoof angle asap
She is in pain

I got her thyroid results today it says TT4 3.3pg/dl

Is this normal ? The thyroid ?
Thank you
Lori

On Jul 8, 2022, at 11:15 PM, Lori Ricigliano via groups.io <Riciglianofarms@...> wrote:

[...]

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Lori,

You're doing fine- no need to be sorry.

Has there been any trimming done since the radiographs were taken?

The views that are needed are: dorsal, lateral, sole and sole plane. No need for medials or heels. Sole plane means showing the bottom of the foot as you look at it from front to back. Here's and example:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photo/243358/3396856?p=pcreated%2C%2Cjudy+and+bugsy%2C20%2C2%2C20%2C0

Would you please retake the RF lateral photo with the camera literally on the ground so that you the lens is at the same level as the hoof, rather than aiming down on it. Set the camera so it's even with the side of the hoof  - like you did for the LF lateral shot. Also, please take the same set of photos for the hind feet.

Thanks.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lori Ricigliano

Ok - thank you - I will redo & take new ones tomorrow
& no - no trimming has been done since the rads were taken last Thurs.

I’ll add & then send email

Do you know off hand if her thyroid level is ok? The bloodwork was from yesterday’s draw
She gets 2 scoops of thyrol L a day and is testing at TT4 3.3 ph/dl  the last time we tested her & vet determined we needed to add levothroxine was 9/2/20 & she was TT4  <.5 ph/dl
That was right after the founder incident in august 2020.

On Jul 9, 2022, at 12:01 AM, Lavinia Fiscaletti <shilohmom@...> wrote:

[...]

The only time we recommend giving thyro-L is for jump starting weight loss.  If she’s overweight and needs to lose, which her photos don’t indicate, thyroid-L will help with the weight losing process to start.  Horses are rarely hypothyroid without other issues but they are more likely to have euthyroid sick syndrome, which is caused by her metabolic issues and will resolve when the metabolic issues are better controlled.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Lori,

What is the reference range for T4 on the paperwork from the lab?   If she's within range and does not need to lose weight, you can begin to taper her off the Thyro-L.   Drop by 1/2 tsp every two weeks.  You might find her T4 drops again as you wean her off, but as Martha explained that is not due to true hypothyroidism.  Instead, it is euthyroid sick syndrome, a common result of uncontrolled metabolic syndrome.

When you have all your photos uploaded and labeled, and are ready for markups, let us know!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History