New Hay Analysis,

Stacey Smith-Bohn

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would please look at the new hay analysis that I posted in the case history files, it is labeled 2022-06-16 hay analysis pdf.  Just let me know if you see any red flags with the hay before I make the call to have a year's supply delivered.  It is 1st cut Timothy that was mowed in the morning.   Compared to last year's hay it is lower in protein and a little bit higher in ESC and starch, we will most likely be soaking the hay to feed.
--
Stacey Smith-Bohn, New Jersey, 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stacey%20and%20Terry

Trisha DePietro

Hi Stacey. Your Sugar and starch combined =8.6  which is nicely below the 10% cutoff- are you needing to soak because he is foot sore? Others will chime in if they see anything else about the results....
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Stacey Smith-Bohn

Thank you Tricia.  We have been soaking his hay for a dozen years or more before he started with PPID.  Last year was the first time that we tested hay and it was lower than this hay in starch and sugar.  We thought that hay would be safe to feed without soaking but he got a bit cresty in the neck again and his insulin went up to 80.  So anyway, we only had a month break from soaking until we had to start soaking again and he looks pretty good.
--
Stacey Smith-Bohn, New Jersey, 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stacey%20and%20Terry

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Stacey,

I don't see any typical red flags other than the protein being quite low so you will need to add protein from other sources (ie, back to adding field peas....they are high in starch but it is an indigestible form so they are safe for metabolic horses).

HOWEVER, last year's hay had 5.7% combined ESC+starch, which is significantly lower than this year's hay, and you STILL had to soak it.  Since soaking only removes up to 30% of the ESC, I suspect that soaking this year's hay may not be enough to make it safe for Terry, esp thru the rise.  You could try soaking it and retest him on it after a couple weeks, but you might also need to give more pergolide to get his insulin down.  From your bloodwork it appears to me that Terry needed more than 2 mg pergolide to get through the rise last year so in addition to soaking hay you probably need to be even more aggressive with increasing his meds this fall.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History