Jijis TRH Stim and Lyme Multiplex Results

The vet came out and did some bloodwork to submit to Cornell June 30th. Results are in as of today, July 11th and they are posted to my photo album.

Vet said both are negative. No PPID, no Lyme comeback. (I chose not to run insulin since she said it wasn’t necessary and wanted to do the oral sugar test anyways.)

I am now considering finding another vet for a second opinion and maybe a more thorough lameness exam—attention was brought to some back pain, slight fluid accumulation in the hocks and hind pasterns, parked out stance during the exam on the 30th IIRC.

Anyways, she isn’t PPID and my vet seems certain that she isn’t IR either. Her laminitis episode this May could have been road founder, then? We did banamine and icing and her radiographs seem to reflect that we caught it in time not to have any changes rotation/sinking-wise.

Sorry to ramble on, I’m just a little perplexed.
--
-Olivia
May 2021, Bemidji, Minnesota

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I strongly disagree that she isn't insulin resistant by the numbers but her insulin wasn't high enough to cause laminitis and that small spike in May 2021 may have been related to pasture conditions rather than IR. No, it wasn't road founder. She has severe distal descent and weak laminar connections. With feet like that I would be surprised if she didn't have hoof pain. A full hoof series with better quality would likely show pedal osteitis and I suspect navicular. Treatment for both requires fixing the hoof capsule. I would begin with a proper trim for distal descent, which will require boots and pads https://hoofrehab.com/DistalDescent.htm . Get your hay and pasture analyzed, diet properly balanced.

The vet who did her x-rays acknowledged pedal osteitis, but no navicular. I am in agreement with you though, I will be on the search for a vet in my area who can run better quality radiographs, with a more comprehensive lameness exam.
--
-Olivia
May 2021, Bemidji, Minnesota