Using large cooler to soak hay - ? for Nancy C.

Joy V

Question for Nancy C in NH -

Hey Nancy, do you know if soaking the hay again for another hour (in new water) after it's already been soaked for an hour,, would result in further reduction of ESC/starch?  Or do you think it gets to a point where all the sugar that can be soaked out is out?

Thank you!
Joy

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Case history:  Willie's Case History
Willie's photo album:  Willie's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

  Yes, new water will remove more sugar.

More water will also work. So using a larger container for soaking will leach out more sugars.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Nancy C

Hi Joy.

I think you have your answer: more water.

Wanted to also add that the number of 30% reduction of sugar often mentioned is really an average. Mine was significantly higher at 50% reduction.
--
Nancy C in NH

Joy V

Thank you all, Dr. Kellon, Cass and Nancy!  I am going to have to buy feed store hay (which I'll have tested) but great to know I can remove more sugar if I need to.

Joy