How long can Devils Claw be used

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Lynn,

Usually when horses become more painful on jiaogulan it is because abscesses are starting to mobilize now that circulation has improved.  If you are really concerned you could try taking her off it temporarily but ultimately if she has abscesses you want them to mobilize and exit the hoof, and the jiaogulan will help speed that up, as will Epsom salt soaks/poultices.  The stiffness may have been from laying down for a long period, so that tells you she probably didn't move around much last night.  It's ok for her to lay down for long periods if her feet are sore.  Just make sure she has a safe, thickly bedded area to do so.

I've never seen Devils Claw but is it a powder?  If so, you could dissolve it in water to make a runny paste in a syringe, then give it orally.

You should retest her ACTH (and insulin + glucose) to make sure it's staying low on 1 mg pergolide, especially now that we are well into the seasonal rise.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

grandmalynn44

Thanks for the suggestion on adjusting the pads. I’m going to work on that. I’m not sure about the jiaogulan. She almost seems worse on it. Is that possible? Her gums have gotten more pink so I thought she was on the right amount.  This morning she was laying down and reluctant to get up. She seemed very stiff. Yesterday I found her licking wet dirt near her water trough.  I don’t know what to make of that. This is absolutely the worst she has ever been.  I was able to get some Devils claw yesterday but not sure how to get it into her. Any suggestions on any of this would be helpful. I’m going to update her case history but she was tested for PPID this spring and put on one mg of pergolide. Retested and her acth came down from 100 to 22. Her hay is the same she’s been on before all this happened. Supplements all the same except for the addition of jiaogulan last week. Her insulin has always been high but earlier this spring she was trotting and at rare times running up to get fed.
-- .
Lynn McKechnie

N. California, May, 2011

Mica:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Mica
Bodie:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Bodie
Bodie photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253481

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Lynn,

Sorry that Mica is still suffering. If this was my horse, I would be beyond livid with the trimmer.

Have you experimented with different types of pads in her boots - she may find a different texture or density more comfortable. Have you tried to cut out a depression in the front half of the pad, ahead of the tip of the frog so that there is no pressure applied by the pad on that area?

The Jiaogulan should help her to add more sole much more quickly.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Sherry Morse

Unlike NSAIDs there's no time limit on how long you can keep a horse on Devil's Claw.

grandmalynn44

My PPID and IR mare , Mica, is still suffering from her soles being carved out by my trimmer. I have her in boots with pads but three weeks after the incident she is still barely able to walk. I’m going to get some Devils Claw for her but my question is how long can she be on it to get some pain relief?  She is getting Jiagoulan as of about one week ago.