Taurine

Lesley Bludworth

I see there is a PDF regarding supplements but I cannot seem to open it.
Taurine is in several Uckele supplements and I see that it is helpful for humans with metabolic syndrome.
Does anyone feed taurine for weight management IR issues?
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ

Nancy C

Edited

Which pdf please Lesley? Could we have the link?

RE: Taurine
https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2019/07/01/taurine-the-most-important-amino-acid-you-never-heard-of/

Many of us supplement Methionine, the precursor to Taurine.

--
Nancy C in NH

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Leslie, for my minerals, I give one scoop of Glycocemic EQ, and 1 scoop of the Uckele Ubalance Foundation.

The Glycocemic EQ has Taurine and other metabolic support. I just love this supplement overall.

Uckele Lamin-Ox has Taurine in it as well, and I feed this supplement at least once per day.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Lesley Bludworth

When I searched the files for taurine, I thinks its an issue on my end, says system error ever time I try to open it. Its a pdf

Leslie, for my minerals, I give one scoop of Glycocemic EQ, and 1 scoop of the Uckele Ubalance Foundation.

The Glycocemic EQ has Taurine and other metabolic support. I just love this supplement overall.

Uckele Lamin-Ox has Taurine in it as well, and I feed this supplement at least once per day.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca
Joined Nov 2018

Summer

Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Lesley Bludworth

Yes, I have those 2 supplements, but I am having to syringe everything right now and the GlycocemicEQ is horribly hard to get in her.
She is not eating much at all.
I am having to grind stabul pellets add water and mix vitamins into that or just the laminox or just the phytoquench.
I thought just straight taurine powder would be easier to get in her, could mix with the metformin..
Does metformin kill appitite?

[...]

Maxine McArthur

Metformin shouldn’t affect the appetite but it can irritate mucous membranes in the mouth—which may put them off food. Have you been rinsing her mouth post-syringing, or mixing the metformin with a buffer such as milk of magnesia? Many members have found this effective.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Most horses don't experience issues with Metformin, but as with any medication, some will.

My mini is one of those - he stopped eating entirely as soon as I put him on Metformin and obviously felt lousy. As soon as I stopped the Metformin, his appetite returned and he was fine. Tried it a couple of times, with the same reaction each time. I was syringing it in with milk of magnesia.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Jensmccabe

Hey Lesley,

My gelding Odin with EMS is a notoriously picky eater with a history of ulcers and colitis.

When I started him on Metformin he was feeling poorly (reaction to Exceed antiobiotic and his insulin wasn’t very well controlled yet). I tried syringing with milk of magnesia as recommended and he hated it.

We started him on doxycycline, started his ulcer meds, increased his Prascend, waited about 6 days, and then I tried again, grinding the Metformin very fine and mixing it in with the Stabul 1 banana flavor pellets, some salt, and plenty of water.

Now he’s happily slurping that mix down and the med is getting in.

I think he wasn’t doing well with the attempt to administer Metformin at first because he was feeling poorly overall; I’ve heard Dr. Kellond mention that that can often put them off feed/meds.

Not sure if that helps for you or not but maybe check the other levels for your horse, tweak anything if needed then try the Metformin in feed/water?

Good luck! It can be such a challenge to figure out what works for them!
--
Jen McCabe
Laytonsville, Maryland

Lesley Bludworth

Thank you everyone.
Yes, metformin ground up in MOM and mouth rinsed, the rinsing is her favorite part.
I think she feels lousy overall due to her feet hurting.
I don't know how well her insulin is controlled; vet comes tomorrow!
She won't eat the soaked tc timothy balance cubes
unless I mix in mt sunrise timothy pellets in with them.
Last night was the first time she ate the full ration of a 1/2 scoop each.
She is nibbling soaked hay.

[...]

That sounds like a small positive re eating her pellets, Lesley. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Lesley Bludworth

thank you, yes i will let you know.  Yes, improving,  just seeing her eat makes me smile.