Dr. Kellon Flytes latest labs.

Lecia Martin

Dr. Kellon:
  I just received Flytes latest labs and I am concerned.  To recap he has been on 2/3 tab invokana, 1 tab of Prascend, given as a preventative, at end of June,  same diet including alcar. He has just started refusing beet pulp.  The most he will eat at any one time is 1 cup dry weight.  He is on free choice hay,  still last years cut.
His #s are:

Acth            6.2 pmol/l
Glucose       5 mmol/l
Insulin         653 mmol/l
Triglycerides    2.6  mmol/l

I have yet to upload these numbers to case history as well as the CBC  but his GGT 70 u/l, AST 510 u/l
GLDH 19 u/l
He is not being exercised, just on his track.   Your thoughts would be most welcomed.

--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Lecia,

How is he feeling? Weight? Soundness? That level of TG elevation is relatively mild and very common.The only thing I don't like is the mildly elevated liver enzymes but this should reverse if you can get him back on a more concentrated calorie source. How about soy hull pellets?

Lecia Martin

Dr. Kellon:    Flyte continues to be a challenge.  At present he is somewhat potbellied, has fat pockets on shoulders and tailhead, can be lethargic at times.   He is moving well though and my farrier is happy with his feet.   I was giving him as much beet pulp as he would eat, which is not much. 1 cup dry weight morning and evening mixed with 1 cup soy hull pellets.   I will replace the beet pulp with the pellets and increase the amount. I give12 grams of Alcar daily,  Should this be increased? I was thinking I should go to 300 mgs of Invokana for fall thru winter as well as the prascend.  He was on 2 tabs last fall to the end of December. Would you agree with this course of action.  I would like to start an exercise program with him.   This would consist of hand walking and/or walks around the hay field under saddle.   Is this a good idea?  His liver enzymes have always been somewhat elevated.  Does this go hand in hand with refractory insulin?   Would adding milk thistle to his supps have any benefit?
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

  You can increase the Prascend through the rise but I wouldn't increase the Invokana. Alcar dose is fine. Good to increase his exercise but make sure he has free choice hay and as much soy hull/beet pulp as he will eat. Liver enzymes can be elevated in any of these metabolic horses. It doesn't necessarily correlate with refractory insulin. I'm not sure if Milk Thistle would help but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Lecia Martin

Thank you.  I increased his soy pellets and he is eating those for now.   Also increased his prascend and will monitor symptoms.  I am planning to retest at the the end of September.  Once again, my appreciation for all your guidance.
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada