curcumin & cats claw

rozaniloc@...

As I pick back over Sunday's supplements, I have come across a thread which says not to feed turmeric to IR horses. I am wondering if you feel this will be true with curcumin as well. I feed Sunday a 95% curcumin extract from PureBulk for his arthritis, & the potentiality that it might also help suppress his melanomas through its anti-inflammatory effects. But with his slightly higher insulin levels this year, I am wondering if it could be a culprit. I've changed up quite a few things, & his insulin is out of the danger zone, but still is not down as low as it once was.

I also just began giving him cats claw extract liquid a couple of weeks ago, which I feel has really helped his ease of movement. Does anyone know of any contraindication for using cats claw with IR, PPID or melanoma?  Thank you.
--
Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado

Sherry Morse

You can do a search of the message archives but here's one email to get you started:  Re: Use of curcumine (groups.io)

As far as Cat's Claw: Re: turmeric use ? (groups.io) is one to get you started.

rozaniloc@...

Thanks so much Sherry - I did try a search, but did not find much mentioning cats claw (lots of devils claw) - so I guess I was hoping someone would read this who knows off the top of their head if cats claw would be contraindicated in IR or PPID or melanomas. For instance I was feeding jiaogulan, but have stopped that due to tSunday's melanomas increasing growth & the potential that the jiaogulan, through that nitric oxide action or whatever is it's mode of action (sorry I can't keep all these terms straight - not a scientist!) is exacerbating the melanoma growth. Then I read Dr Kellon say that turmeric has been shown to increase insulin in some studies, but I was not sure if it is known if the extracted out curcumin is the culprit in the insulin increase, or if it is something else present in the turmeric compound that is doing that. I guess I can just discontinue the curcumin, but I do feel like it was helping his arthritis. And I don't want to cause a further spike in his insulin if the cats claw will do that - or accelerate the melanomas if something about the cats claw method of activity would affect that. Sigh. It is complicated dealing with so many issues at once in one being.
--
Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado
case history:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rozanne%20&%20Sunday
photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=93586

Maxine McArthur

Rozanne, I’m interested in the cats claw question too as one of the few liquid devils claw extracts we can get here comes with cats claw. The horse I’d like to give this to is a fussy eater and will not consume powdered devils claw in his feed.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Starshine Ranch

Edited

Hi Maxine,   My horse would not eat her supplements if I added Devils Claw but then I got a big 60ml syringe and started giving it to her that way and she now reaches for the syringe.  I give her a Beet e Bite after and I haven't had any problems.  I tried smaller syringes but only the 60ml is big enough to take the 3 tsps of powder without getting it everywhere ... and it's just so messy and sticky if it spills.  Amazon has 5 of these big syringes WITH CAPS for $7.99.  Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/Catheter-Syringe-Cover-Pieces-Brandzig/dp/B07NF6ZGMX?pd_rd_w=ygJqn&content-id=amzn1.sym.bc622850-a717-4d94-96c3-7cc183488298&pf_rd_p=bc622850-a717-4d94-96c3-7cc183488298&pf_rd_r=5KQKVHYT8YN24X0YY39F&pd_rd_wg=ZfeXx&pd_rd_r=20947b89-faa2-4e15-8b14-bbaa2a65a6e0&pd_rd_i=B07NF6ZGMX&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_2_t

--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara