Buddy Hoof Photos

Bossmare781@...

Hello,

I just uploaded some hoof photos for Buddy to hopefully get an evaluation or thoughts on them like someone mentioned. I was having a hard time trying to get all of the different angles because he wasn't wanting to let me hold his feet up for long, especially his front left. So if these aren't enough to do an evaluation, please just let me know and I will do my best to re-take them. Thank you!

--
Brittany in Ohio 2022

Buddy Case History - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Brittany%20and%20Buddy

Buddy Photo Album - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=282333

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for adding some pix and the rads.

Rads show that Buddy's toes are much too far out ahead of where they need to be. There is no bony column rotation (tip of the coffin bone has dropped downward, out of alignment with the rest of the bones above it) - the HPA is actually broken back (opposite of rotation) on both. RF is worse than the LF. There is capsular rotation - which is when the distance between the dorsal edge of the coffin bone and the hoof wall increases as you move from the coronary band down toward the ground. The coffin bones are ground parallel, with palmer angles of zero. Sole depth appears to be adequate but with nothing to spare.

The photos confirm that the toes are much too far out ahead of where they should be. They also show severely underrun heels and lateral wall flares. Frog on the RF is atrophied and elongated.

Trims need to focus on backing the toes up so that the breakover moves closer to the tip of the frog. This will mean backing thru what appears to be the "white line" at ground level. Nothing off the soles or frogs. You cannot currently move the heels back as they are already too low relative to the vertical height in the front half of the foot. Instead, the walls in the heels need to be unloaded to help them to stand up straighter.

If you would like mark-ups to help guide trims please let me now. I'll need a full set of photos (all four feet, please). The laterals and dorsals should include the cannon bones in the shots. Try to get Buddy to stand as squarely as possible on the foot that you are photographing.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR