BET/Darby

Susan Laflamme <f4mlatir@...>

Hi Kay in NY, I'm in NH. Darby is my daughters first horse, once we found
out how old she really was we decided to give her a home for life. We've
actually owned her for about 14 years now.
I owe her alot because when my daughter was young Darby took very good care
of her and she gets the best care we can give her because she deserves it.
Well after my daughter learned all she could from Darby, this mare
continued to teach other
children & adults all about horsemanship including me who 4 years ago was
terrified to pick a foot!
I ran out and bought cider vinager and I will soak Darby's feet in it a
couple times a day because this spring when she got really sore the x ray
showed a pocket of something in that right hoof, then it got better, but
right now after I soak it I can see what looks like blood about 1/2" down
on the outside quarter of that right front foot.
Sue

Sue

At 10:49 AM 7/7/00 EDT, you wrote:
Sue, how much you must have shared with your precious Daarby. Almost 40
years old, that says it all. You must have given her the best of
everything.
Kay in NY

Do you love horses?
Visit ClipClop.com today!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6325/5/_/664507/_/962981378/

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/community/EquineCushings

Susan Laflamme <f4mlatir@...>

Hi Paula, Thanks for the info....yes Darby is a foundered horse, It
happened 3 years ago and on and off since.
We have managed to get 1 foot baxk to no rotation but the other is being a
problem. Right now she is on 1 tablespoon of Isox which is around 30 pills.
I'm waiting to hear from my vet.
Like Kay in Alaska Darby has been dealing with for around 3 years and she
is 40 years old so we are at the end of our hope.
Sue

At 09:07 AM 7/7/00 EDT, you wrote:
Susan —

My vet has not yet received Bug's test results from BET Labs. I did speak
with her briefly on Wednesday, and relayed the advice I had been given by
one
of their technicians. Her response was that BET is a good lab, but the owner
is NOT a vet (he evidently has a Ph.D. in Endocrinology). Therefore, she
thinks sometimes he's a bit overzealous with dispensing advice.

She was skeptical about the use of Chromium for insulin control. I've done a
bit of reading the past few days, and now I am as well. There have been lab
studies which show that Chromium damaged DNA in lab mice, and many
legitimate
human physicians are warning againt people ingesting it because it's still a
relative unknown. What its use might mean for a horse, especially an old one
who's not capable of reproducing, I don't know. However, I'm not going to
run
out and buy it without further investigation.

As far as the Pergo goes, I think I probably will end up adding it to Bug's
daily bucket of stuff. Has your vet considered a Cypro/Pergo mix for Darby?

How many mg. Isoxuprine are you using for Darby? You might need to increase
the amount (ask your vet).

Is she a foundered horse? Does she have shoes on? There are Lilly pads made
to take pressure off the tender soles of the hooves. I know they helped Bug
immensely when he foundered.

— Paula

Can Shockwaves cure Navicular Disease?
Click Here to visit us today: