Abnormal fur growth

Starshine Ranch

A few weeks ago I wrote that my horses weren't growing much of a coat this season.  Now one of them is shedding what little she grew and the other will likely follow soon (they are full sisters, 2.5 years apart and pretty much do everything the same.)
I have been wondering about the pergolide dosage... I stepped it up considerably when I tested them before the seasonal rise and kept it at that amount ever since.  I am thinking that maybe I should cut it back a bit?... could it be they are getting too much?  Their Case Histories are up-to-date.
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Sherry Morse

Hi Linda,

I would want to test them at the current dose now that we are out of the seasonal rise and see if it's managing their PPID at this point before I would think about dropping to a lower level.

Hi Linda,
It’s my understanding that Pergolide doesn’t have much effect on hair coat, or at least not as much as we’d like.  You could try cutting back to see what happens.  Whether you cut back or not, I would plan to do ACTH testing sometime in the next few months.  Be sure it’s at least three weeks after you make any changes.  By cutting back on the dose you are betting that the ACTH will drop after the rise but it was never my experience that it did significantly.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Starshine Ranch

Ok... I will get them tested.  Thank you.