Topics

Acorns

Angie

Does anyone know if acorns have ever been tested?  Just curious as keeping my horses away from acorns 100% is near impossible and I'm guessing they could be high in starch.
--
Angie
October 2020, Mendocino County, CA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angie%20and%20Jacob
Jacob's Photo Album:

Sherry Morse

Hi Angie,

They are high in starch as per Dr. Kellon, although I think that might have been in an 'off the group' conversation.

Kirsten Rasmussen

Dr Kellon's exact words were "Acorns are also very, very high starch and can cause laminitis in a susceptible horse."

It has also been discussed in the group, if you do a search for "acorn", for example this comes up:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/243076

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Candice

HI Angie!

Would like to just expand on this topic since I had JUST asked Dr. K this last week. I live in central Florida and my farm has LOTS of live oak trees and water oaks. Too many to count actually.

Well, my PPID & IR gelding came up lame one day last week all of the sudden. I changed NOTHING! And he is on a tightly balanced diet and a track system that consists of sand and dirt, with no access to grass.

The only change was the acorns were falling!!!!!! And I was watching my herd (3 equines) and of course they were going around the track eating ALL the acorns they access to!!!!!! URGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Take care to mark off access to the acorns as best you can. My gelding is finally no longer lame/footsore since I rearranged some of my track and blocked off access to areas.

Others have mentioned to use a backpack blower and blow the acorns away and to use a wire muzzle.
--

Candice

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Candice%20and%20Shark

Shark's Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71507

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @ www.arkhavenfarm.com

Frances C.

Oh! the acorns are fallin' on me head
I feel my face is gettin' red
Spending hours every day
Pickin' up the little buggers
Buckets an' buckets o' the little buggers
Horses all penned up
Beggin me to turn em loose
So they can gobble gobble up
All the little buggers that I missed.
ANYONE INTERESTED IN BUYING A CUTE LITTLE FARM - WILL SELL CHEAP
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

When I had domestic turkeys, I would have taken your leftovers.  They live acorns.  And have incredible personalities.

--
Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Angie

The wild turkeys and deer are busy eating the acorns and I rake them up twice a day to donate to local groups that rehabilitate wildlife and re-plant oak trees after the fires.

But there are still tons of them! They bounce off the barn roof and right into the paddock and my horses are like vacuum cleaners.  I’ll be glad when this is over.

--
Angie
October 2020, Mendocino County, CA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angie%20and%20Jacob
Jacob's Photo Album:

Frances C.

Hi Angie, what kind of rake do you use? I haven't found anything with tines close enough to do the job. Im guessing you have lots of leaves and twigs too. We have a band of wild turkeys but they prefer my neighbors wild cat/bird food. I manage to pick up by hand about a gallon a day, all from one magnificent tree. The soil in the pen has turned to dust so blowing is not an option. I manage to water down about half the area. The acorns are hard to see in the gravel/dust. Going on with my song.
Oh some are brown and some are green
Some are even aubergene
Oh I cant wait for the day
When they will all go away.