Topics

ACTH Only?

Sherry with Dusty, Blue and Cody

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to schedule the vet for Cody's new bloodwork.  Can I test for only ACTH or do I need to do everything again?
--
Sherry, Feb 2018, Gates, NC
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Cody

https://ecir.groups.io/g/DustyHoof/album?id=38179

https://ecir.groups.io/g/BlueHoof/album?id=38486

Hi Sherry,

I had to do a quick search in the messages because Cody's CH isn't up to date but were he mine at this point I'd want to check the ACTH for sure.  His glucose and insulin levels weren't terrible in January and as long as he's on tested or low s/s hay probably aren't as large an area a concern as making sure his ACTH is under control right now.  How has he been doing since you started him on the Prascend?

My vet pointed out to me that Cornell has a good "package" of tests at a very reasonable price. Many of us don't realize that a big part of our cost is paying for our own vet's time. My vet here in Michigan charges very low for his time and his distance to me is pretty low. Anyway, the difference between 2 tests or 4 tests is probably not so much. I have learned it is in my best interests to just go for the full package of blood tests.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Sherry with Dusty, Blue and Cody

Hi Sherry,

I'm sorry I didn't realize I hadn't updated.  I'll do that tomorrow.  He is doing better.  I have him on 1.25 tabs a day.  His weight and appetite are good and his manure has been normal since starting the Prascend!  Last year he had to have Dex by the end of May for his breathing issues and so far we are doing fine in that department (thank goodness) but the first year he had trouble breathing (2018) it didn't start till the end of July.  I am praying treatment for the PPID will continue to keep those troubles at bay.