Topics

ACTH results

KrisA

16 year old Trakehner gelding.  Started to notice that his long guard hairs didn't shed normally this spring, and then when his summer coat came in it was somewhat longer and possibly finer than usual.  He normally has the shortest, slickest coat of all my horses, but this spring it came in different.  Checked with his breeder, and her farm manager said that his dam, who is about 20, had this same change in her coat, has been tested numerous times for Cushings. and tests negative.  She also goes out on lush pasture, unrestricted, and always has, and has never foundered.

So back to my gelding.  Blood was drawn for ACTH on August 10, 2020 and came back 50pg/ml.  Insulin was 20uIU/ml

My plan right now is to feed him as if he was Cushings and then have him retested in the spring.  Does that sound reasonable, or should he be put on a low dose of Pergolide?

Thank you, Kris
--
Kris Anderson
Williamstown, MA  2020

Sherry Morse

Hi Kris,

Treating a horse as if he were Cushings involves putting them on medication as it's not something that can be controlled without it. You can refer to the Liphook graph here: https://liphookequinehospital.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Seasonal-Changes-in-ACTH-Secretion2.pdf and look at week 33 for August 10th which indicates that the average horse will have an ACTH of slightly over 40.

At this point you can choose to start him on Pergolide or wait and retest him in the early spring and see what his ACTH is at that point.  Some horses only need to be treated during the rise in the early stages of the disease and he may be one of them.

KrisA

Thanks.  My plan isn't to treat him as if he's Cushings, but to *feed* him as if he is.  IOW, up until this year he got free choice pasture and/or second cut hay (high sugar/starch diet) because he's not overweight.  But in light of the changes in his coat I started restricting his access to pasture this spring, and he'll get first instead of second cut hay from now on.  He's leaner than he used to be, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I just had my first cut hay analyzed and have a sample of second cut to send off (to double check the first cut sample which came back significantly lower in iron than the last one I sent), and if I can decide which values I want to use I'm going to redo my custom mineral supplement this year.

Kris
--
Kris Anderson
Williamstown, MA  2020

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Kris,

There is no diet for PPID per se.  The carbohydrate restricted diet is for IR, which the PPID horse may or may not develop (need insulin testing to tell). However, if the horse has IR from PPID,diet alone will not correct it or protect from laminitis.