Topics

advice regarding mixing medicine with banana

Anat Shalev

A question regarding mixing the metformin with banana to get Pippo to eat it.
on Dr Kellon advice, and since no major change was found in insulin levels in the last blood tests we almost doubled the dose of Metformin. And although I increased the feed (Cavalor fiber force + stabull nuts) in which it was mixed with Pipo stopped eating it all feed or medication.
i went to adding ground flex seed etc but he would refuse it all together. I hid portion of the powder in soft thistle (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonchus_oleraceus) hollow stem but after couple of times that worked he started spitting refused this too. We both are quite frustrated from the whole process.
i started the whole process with cored grapes but he resfused
last night managed to convince him to eat it with a mixed mashed banana (after he refused eating it hidden in a cored banana).

my question is: will 2 bananas a day be too much?

i am thinking of squirting it in a syringe... but this is quite a lot of stuff. And as this is done twice a day and I am doing my best to make all this experience the least aversive as possible...

would appreciate your input about other options that have worked in the past with other horses and input if 2 bananas a day are too much...

This is sooo complicated to fight for every bit of feed on one hand and balance it all -  then to have to use feed with sugar to get him to eat the medication to reduce insulin

thank you
anat
--
Anat Shalev,
May 2015, Pardes Hanna, Israel

I'm sorry but bananas are definitely out of the question. It would be much easier and less time consuming just to syringe it in. A tabletop coffee grinder will pulverize the pills in a second or two. Get a dose syringe with a wide tip so you can keep the consistency paste-like which will reduce volume. I would do this right before you feed him so the taste is in his mouth then start adding a small amount of it to the feed instead of the syringe and gradually increase.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

Anat Shalev

Ok