All 4 feet bruised

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

I just got a call from my farrier. All 4 of Micah's feet are bruised. She does not jump and has not been riding on a hard surface. She has pads on all 4 feet.  She did get her grazing muzzle off 4 weeks ago but it was only for a night (I tried to add a fly mask - she kept the fly mask on but got the grazing muzzle off instead).
Nothing else has changed. Could that in and of itself have caused the damage? The farrier said it would take 5 weeks for anything to show up so he did not think so.
The vet comes out tomorrow and we will do blood work.
I had already scheduled the vet to come out because she is lame on her hind left toe/heal. At the trot, she would not pick it up but was dragging it.  She has been off and on lame for years so I did not associate it with founder (she tore her manica flexor, has suffered with weak suspensory). She had an ulcer in her eye that was pretty ugly but it has healed well.
 I'll ask to do x-rays. Anything else I need to look for?
Devastated.
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Trisha DePietro

Hi Kelly.  I would definitely get xrays....ACTH, insulin, glucose ( i'm sure you are planning on that anyway). Is her muzzle completely sealed when she is on grass at night? ( I know it fell off but just wondering if its normally completely sealed). Where exactly is the bruising the farrier saw? was it bruising on the sole or walls or both? Was it at the toe or quarters of the hoof? If you can snap pictures of the bruised areas that would be helpful too.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

Trisha,
Thanks so much for your response. Her muzzle is not completely sealed. I guess I must do that now. I think I may have figured out the trigger. Her hocks were injected in June. I now understand steroids can cause a horse to founder. I should have known that but didn’t. As soon as I get the radiographs I’ll post! I’ve sent a message to the farrier about the bruising. He put pads on all 4 feet before I could see them. I’m thinking it’s the hock injections that pushed her over. What do you think.

--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Kelly, I'm sorry Micah has bruising on all four feet. Corticosteroids are on the list of medications and other items to avoid with IR/PPID horses. I always consult this list when medications are suggested for my IR/PPID mares.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/1%20Start%20Here/3.%20Avoid%20These%20Items.pdf

You can scan this list of almost 250 messages for many discussions of laminitis following corticosteroids. Occasionally they are a life-saving medication (as for breathing problems) and cannot be avoided.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/search?p=created%2C0%2C%2C1%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=steroids%2Blaminitis

To make your life more complicated, this is the time of year when the seasonal rise can also have an impact on horses with early PPID or even confirmed PPID. Glad to hear you ran labs on Micah. I hope you'll post an update when you get them back.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

I uploaded a  new case history and the radiographs.

Micah's Insulin was 18 ulU/Ml (range is 0-42) on 8/28. On April 25th it was 8
Her glucose was 83 mg/dl  (range 70-120). The vet failed to take it on April 25-
Her ACTH was 15 on 8/28 and 13 on 4/25
Her Leptin was 4.16 on 8/28 and 7 on 4/25

According to the vet the radiographs show the following (it means nothing to me- he was not concerned)
LF  H/L 20/21, sole depth 14 cm, palmar angle 8

RF H/L 18/19, Sole depth 16 cm, palmar angle 7

LH H/L 18/19 Sole depth 22 cm, palmar angle 2

RH H/L 17/18 Sole depth 22cm, palmar angle 7

My assumption is that the injection of betamethaozone into her hocks in June was the cause of the laminitis but I obviously can't say.

--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Kelly,

I don't see any evidence of laminitis on the radiographs. Her ACTH has been normal. Insulin modestly elevated on one occasion (could be many reasons) and normal on the other. What I do see is a flat palmar angle and broken back HPA axis which is putting considerable strain on her deep digital flexor tendon, navicular bursa and navicular bone.

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

Thank you so much for looking at these!!!
Great news about the radiographs (no evidence of laminitis). I'll need to speak with my very temperamental farrier. If you question him at all, he's likely to quit. That being said, it's more important her shoeing is good.  Could the strain on the digital flexor tendon be what is making her off and on lame?

Can anything else make all 4 feet bruised other than laminitis? Both the vet and farrier thought that was what it was since all 4 were bruised and she is not on any hard surface. Because she is off and on lame, we do dressage in an arena and nothing too strenuous.

--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

Would her torn Manica flexor have anything to do with the flat palmar angle and broken back HPA axis?
Kelly
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

With low insulin and those radiographs, it's not laminitis. I'm guess she has flat feet (correct?). That will do it. Yes, the strain on the DDFT/navicular area can definitely make her lame. A pattern you might see if that is the issue is for her to improve right after shoeing (assuming she still has those shoes on), but starts to go off again after 2+ weeks.

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

That is her exactly. Thank you so much!!
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The Manica flexoria isn't likely involved in those issues. It is an extension of the superficial digital flexor that helps to form a passageway for the tendons at the fetlock. I suspect chronically underrun heels are a big part of the problem but we need to see actual hoof photos (see the Wiki for instructions).