locked Aloe Vera coats but doesn’t cure ulcers

grandmalynn44

I recently treated Mica for ulcers with aloe vera juice and it seemed to be working. Today I was told by a friend that aloe vera juice only costs the stomach but will not cure the ulcers. Is this correct?
--
Lynn McKechnie

N. California, May, 2011

Mica:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Mica
Bodie:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Bodie
Bodie photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253481

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Not true.  It accelerates healing https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34427371/, increases production of protective mucin https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31490512/ , can protect against gastric ulcers https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35111849/ , https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34376109/ , https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28874080/ , protects from chemotherapy induced mouth ulcers https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34540131/ .

This study shows omeprazole superior to aloe, which it may be, but the omeprazole group was treated for up to 2 months, aloe only one month https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28555939/ . It does heal ulcers as well as protect from them https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16610053/ .

grandmalynn44

Thanks Dr. Kellon!  I will pass this information on to my friend who was told by her vet aloe vera won’t cure ulcers. I so appreciate you checking on this for me.   I’m having a harder time getting the gallon jugs of aloe juice at my local Walmarts so I purchased some UGard pellets to give Mica to make sure she doesn’t develop more ulcers.  She is still alone since Bodie died and I’m looking for some sort of companion for her. I’m not ready to take on another horse.  Lynn McKechnie

N. California, May, 2011

Mica:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Mica
Bodie:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Bodie
Bodie photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253481

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You could also try these Aloe pellets https://uckele.com/aloe-vera-pellets-4-3lb.html , 5% off with coupon code ECIR. You can also order the Aloe vera juice online from walmart.com.

Consider a goat for a companion! There is an adjustment period but then they bond closely, especially mares. Does are best. Even castrated males are pretty aggressive and territorial.

jmc

I am using a straight aloe vera powder from Bulk Supplement, but I've never been sure of the dosage, so I extrapolate from the human dosage... so giving 10g/day of the powder.

Does this seem like a good amount? I think it was working as I took them off it for a while, and Yankee is girthier than before... we kind of thought it was his back, but now I'm wondering... He does get hay before every ride.
--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The extrapolation from human to equine dose is 4 to 6X the human dose.

Being girthy doesn't make any sense as an ulcer symptom since the stomach is suspended in the middle of the abdomen but Aloe has generalized antiinflammatory properties.

To check his back, run a pen down each side of a paravertebral muscles.  A normal back will dip down as you do this. A sore back will arch up and if you hit a sore  trigger point you are likely to get a swift kick. It's reflexive, not intention, but be aware.

Sara Gooch

Dr. Kellon,
That last-mentioned PubMed research article referred to aloe vera and sucralfate together that had positive results against ulcers in rats.  For a horse diagnosed with stomach ulcers, then would sucralfate also need to be administered with the aloe vera to have a positive effect on the ulcers?  Thanks!

Sara Gooch, 2011  NE California

Trisha DePietro

Will Ukele's GUT be enough to be protective/curative? or need the aloe juice too? Thanks.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Is the horse confirmed?

Trisha DePietro

Not conformed, but trying to prevent it from happening---newly started on equioxx for arthritic knees.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos
Primary Responder

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Since Sucralfate alone isn't very effective, I doubt it would help, e.g. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12906229/ .

There is little risk of gastric disease with Equiox but if you use it longer than 7 days the colon and kidneys are at risk.

Sara Gooch

Thanks Dr. Kellon.  Good to know that aloe vera can be effective against ulcers by itself without sucralfate!

Sara Gooch, 2011, NE California

Maria Duran

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 05:50 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD wrote:
Not true.  It accelerates healing https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34427371/, increases production of protective mucin https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31490512/ , can protect against gastric ulcers https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35111849/ , https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34376109/ , https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28874080/ , protects from chemotherapy induced mouth ulcers https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34540131/ .

This study shows omeprazole superior to aloe, which it may be, but the omeprazole group was treated for up to 2 months, aloe only one month https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28555939/ . It does heal ulcers as well as protect from them https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16610053/ .
--
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this Dr. K.

Two questions:

- Is this statement in one of the studies also of help for IR horses? "slowing the release of sugars from starches" could this take place also for IR horses downregulating glucose spikes to some extent?

- One study uses 9 of the gel, is this enough daily to treat ulcers?

Thank you very much.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Maria Duran

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 12:44 PM, Maria Duran wrote:

- One study uses 9 of the gel, is this enough daily to treat ulcers?
Meant to say 9 g of aloe gel for a 500 kg horse, sorry for not being precise.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I wouldn't count on it reducing release of sugar from starch.  Which study? If it was human, use 4X the dose for a horse.

Maria Duran

Thank you Dr. Kellon, it was the penultimate study you posted https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28555939/  it is done on horses and says "Forty horses with grade ≥2 lesions of the squamous and/or glandular mucosa were randomly assigned to one of two groups. Horses received either aloe vera inner leaf gel (17.6 mg/kg bwt)"

So between 8 g and 9 g for a 500 kg horse, but I believe I remember the effective dose was a cup of aloe gel daily, so I am confused with this small quantity.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You're thinking of aloe vera juice, not the gel.

Maria Duran

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 07:51 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD wrote:
You're thinking of aloe vera juice, not the gel.
Yes you are right, as always haha. Do you find gel is more effective over the juice or viceversa?

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I have only used the juice. This topic belongs on Horsekeeping.