Another old horse with cushings

Linda

Another friend of mine recently put her old mare down, the horse was
around 38, a TWH. She had been diagnosed with cushings about 4
years,
she had symptoms for quite a while though, my friend opted not to put
her on cushings medication but did have her on thyroid. Her mare
never foundered but did abcess a few times.
I remember that mare fondly, her name was Lady and me and her owner,
Lady and my horse had gone out for a long ride 2 years ago, lasted
about 3 hours of walking on about the most beautiful day of that
fall,
Lady was doing quite fine on the ride and although both our horses
were old, both gave us a hard time at their favorite galloping place.
It was one of Lady's last trail rides, we had a few short ones after
that. I have a picture of all 4 of us in my mind high up on a ridge
looking over the valley. Her owner called me to let me know she had
put Lady down, since I had moved away. she said Lady who had always
lived out in a herd was not managing well out there and had gotten
quite lame from arthritis, when my friend seperated her from the herd
and put her in a little turnout pen attached to the barn over the
winter, she was hoping spring would help her but it sounds like the
winter was hard on her, so my friend put her down.
I have to smile, lately all the horses I know are old and all the
vets
are young enough to be my kid.

Lynne Brinkley <rhune@...>

Hi,

I'm new to the Cushing's group since my one of my mares has developed the
disease. The more I learn about it, the more I realize she has been
symptomatic for years and I put it down to old age, etc. She has foundered
twice in a month and the farrier is due out again today. One more founder
and I doubt she will make it. I've put her on the epms diet, and want to
find the best Cushing's medicine to put her on. The biggest fear is one
that might cause her to founder again, not that it couldn't happen anyway.

Do you have any recommendations for the drugs or an alternative medicine.
Unfortunately, money is a problem. My other question is how long have most
of these horses had Cushing's and how are they doing? Other than the
foundering problem Future is doing very well and hasn't required any other
special treatment. She was still on her regular feed along with the rest of
the horses. Nothing senior required and until the founder no illness. Been
barefoot, pregnant and happy.

Thanks

Lynne

[...]

Equine Cushings email addresses:

Post message: EquineCushings@...

Subscribe: EquineCushings-subscribe@...

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/community/EquineCushings

rich goldy <rmgoldy@...>

Lynne, Check out the "Treating Founder(Chronic Laminitis) Without
Horseshoes" link on the groups links page. The method did wonders for my
Marvin before he had to be put to sleep due to what we now believe was
cancerous tumors in his colon.
It takes some guts to do it but it really does help. The Srasser method
may also help in reducing the the chance of re-foundering.
Best Wishes,
Mary G.

Lynne Brinkley wrote:

[eGroups] My Groups | EquineCushings Main Page | Start a
new group!

[...]

Thank You. Any and all help is greatly appreciated right now. This old girl
means a lot, but I also can't watch her suffer too much, so if we can't fix
the problem, I'm not going to let her bones go through her feet and just say
oh well. Right now we are fighting this tooth and nail.

Lynne