Anyone know a good fit for Donkey Muzzle

Carrie

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of a muzzle that works well with a donkey. They have a different shape head & most horse ones don't fit.
The Donkey Sanctuary don't advocate using muzzles as they can make Donkeys depressed they say. They can't advise any that fit a donkey.
I am thinking of using one, just to allow my donkey out in field for some natural exercise at some point.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

--
Carrie
March 2021

celestinefarm

Carrie, if I were you , I would email Best Friends' Muzzles and ask for advice. They will likely want a photo of your donkey to help you with sizing. If your donkey can wear a halter, he can wear a muzzle.  I also am not sure of shipping to the UK, but they will know if they can internationally ship.
I have used a Best Friend muzzle for almost eight years now on my horses.  I like the Best Friend Deluxe muzzle as it has a lot of adjustment of the halter . You just need to get the right basket size for your donkey. Contrary to what many people do, you want a basket with room for him to be comfortable with it.  Some horses are claustrophobic and a larger basket will help them overcome that. Putting it on them with a treat in the basket and not being personally upset by it goes a long way with acceptance. I don't have donkey's but a friend of mine has a pair adopted from the BLM that she has worn muzzles on for well over ten years, with no issues. The donkey's learned quickly to eat grass through the hole in it and she only has to watch them for the occasional time they find a place to catch it on and break the quick release.  She also uses the BF Deluxe Muzzle.
Best Friend Grazing Muzzles Or Cribbing Muzzles - Best Friend Equine

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Gilly Edwards

Hi Carrie

I was using the Best Friends muzzle a couple of years ago then I discovered Tough one easy breathe.  They are robust and have large holes for their nostrils and good value for money
--
Gilly
VA

Carrie

Thank you Gilly , I have emailed Best Friends to query about donkeys & their fit. So hopefully things will work out & I'll be able get my donkey out on the green stuff before winter if blood tests permit.
--
Carrie
March 2021

lmittler@...

Hi Carrie,

Have you seen Thin Line’s grazing muzzles? I have a few clients who use and love them. They attach to your donkey’s breakaway halter so if you have a good fitting halter, you can simply add the adjustable muzzle to it. They come in different sizes as well. Just a thought!

https://thinlineglobal.com/shop/horse-tack-equipment/grazing-muzzle/flexible-filly-slow-feed-grazing-muzzle

--
Lisa Mittler
Barefoot Hoof Practitioner

Lorna Cane

Hi Carrie,

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but even in winter keep a close eye on available 'dead' grass.
Back when the earth was cooling the vet and I could never figure out how my pony mule could frequently get laminitis in the winter. Nothing was growing,after all!
We hadn't counted on the sugary roots of the innocuous-looking dead stuff .
Humphrey knew all about what a little pawing could turn up.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Carrie

Thanks for your reply  regarding Thin Lines Grazing Muzzle- will add this to the search when ready to use a muzzle.
Carrie x
--
Carrie
March 2021

Carrie

Ha .. Thank you Lorna ...not a Debbie Downer at all !! Have taken note of your observation & starting to pick out rooted grass from the rubber matting turnout each day !
--
Carrie
March 2021

Patience

I second the Flexible Filly.   It can be put on any halter that fits your equine.  I also got the pads they sell and they work great.

I would share the website but not sure if that is allowed.
--
Patience Miller and Dru (Morgan Mare)
Mid Michigan USA

Carrie

Thanks for offering the advice Patience , I'll add that to my list of possibles!

--
Carrie
March 2021