The reason I ask is that Scotty is very sleepy with low energy much of the time...which I know is normal for a 40'ish horse. However, after 2 days of 3ml APF, he just seems perkier. Thank you in advance for ideas and experience.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Deb, jiaogulan is what I see recommended most frequently as a substitute for APF.  Jiaogulan is an adaptogen, as are the active ingredients in APF, which you could also research.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

HL's Mom

Dr. K recommended jiaogulan to me as an alternative to APF, too. It's way cheaper, and I think it's helping my girl. I got it from a supplier in Colorado.
--
Diann  in VA 2020

ferne fedeli

The only drawback to Jiaogulan for me was that my horse's hooves grew like crazy when taking it and I could not get a trimmer to come more often than every 6 weeks.  If you have access to a trimmer that can come every 4 weeks or sooner or trim yourself, you would be fine.
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

Deb Walker

Thank you to all who replied. Scotty has been on jiaogulan for quite some time. I recently increased it from a tsp twice a day to about 3 tsp twice a day since he gets it top dressed. I do think it makes his hooves grow faster too, which in the beginning of our trials was a good thing. Now, I wouldn't mind if it was slowed down some :) My trimmer typically can make it between 5-7 weeks in between trimmings.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Tanna

Dr. K determined that this product provided a low dose in comparison to APF but maybe worth a try for you if available?

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/163060

My gal is very sensitive to all things and it seemed to help her last year when I was working through trying to find a good dose of Prascend.

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada