Arthritis Pain Relief

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

I've looked through the messages and files. Am I correct that the only pain relievers to use with an IR &PPID horse are Phyto-Quench and Devil's Claw? From reading the messages,  I understand Equithrive has worked for some horses but can be problematic.  My horse has arthritis. I've tried laser  etc but without good result.  The vet has recommended long term Equiox, recognizing the problems but that the positive outweighs the negative.  My two real issues are the interaction of Equioxx with the Prascend and ulcers (my horse is prone to ulcers). Sorry if this is redundant but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Sherry Morse

Hi Kelly,

As with so many things 'it depends'.  We don't recommend NSAIDs for pain that is from laminitis caused by IR, but they can work as intended in other cases (as an example my gelding was on bute for 10 days when he first injured his tendon).  The problem with Equioxx is less an issue with Prascend than giving it long term to a horse you know is prone to ulcers.  I would look at other alternatives like Move-Ease from My Best Horse if Devil's Claw alone is not helping.

TERRI JENNINGS

 You might want to search the files for PEA (PALMITOYLETHANOLAMIDE ). I started my 3 older geldings on it a month ago and i’m blown away by the results.  Mr. Beefy was having trouble Getting  up after rolling and he was trudging alkng at a really Slow pace. now he trots to me When  i csll him, he’s walking out like he did when he was much younger and i had yo tell him to slow diwm while walking On the trails.  He’s 31!!!  If this continues he may habe to Come out of retirement.   My other 2 that are taking it also seem to be moving better and are much happier.

i started taKing it a few weeks ago and my chronic paIn is gone. I feel 15 yeats younger.

Terri Jennings with Mr. Beefy, Finn, Elliott and Teeny (over the rainbow)

Arcata, CA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Terri%20and%20Mr.%20Beefy,%20Finn,%20Elliott%20and%20Teeny
Joined 2019

Joy V

Hi Terri,

Would you mind sharing your source for PEA for yourself and for your horses?  I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
Joy

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Case history:  Willie's Case History
Willie's photo album:  Willie's Photos

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

thanks everyone for the help!
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

TERRI JENNINGS

I use the one Dr Kellon suggested. Elevation terpines

https://www.elevationterpenes.com/

I found their product on Amazon for slightly cheaper.
--
Terri Jennings with Mr. Beefy, Finn, Elliott and Teeny (over the rainbow)
Arcata, CA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Terri%20and%20Mr.%20Beefy,%20Finn,%20Elliott%20and%20Teeny
Joined 2019

Shera Felde

Terri, how much are you giving your horses? I'm going to try it with my arthritic gelding.

Thanks!
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Joy V

Thank you Terri!

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Case history:  Willie's Case History
Willie's photo album:  Willie's Photos

Patty

interested in recommendations for dosing for PEA

--
Patty and Inky
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/PATTY%20AND%20INKY

Lorna Cane

Patty,check out  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/278104
from Dr. Kellon.
I don't know ,though, whose horse she was helping at this time.Reading previous msgs. would tell us.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Lorna Cane

Patty,it was Heather's horse,980 lbs.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/278071

How did you find it worked,Heather?

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Patty

thanks Lorna!
--
Patty and Inky
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/PATTY%20AND%20INKY
horse located in SE Wisconsin
owner located in north suburb of Chicago
joined Aug 2019

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Unfortunately, I didn’t see much difference with PEA.
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

Lorna Cane

Sorry to hear that.
How long did you use it,Heather ?

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Jeanne Q

I used PEA with great success with my mare, Glory.  She has since flown to greener pastures but the PEA gave her much comfort for the last year of her life.  Nothing else worked and my vet and I tried everything.  I take it myself for a bad neck and various aches and pains.  It also works great for me as a sleep aid so I take it before bed.  I got mine from Elevated Terpines.  Good luck!
--
Jeanne Q MN 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeanne%20&%20Glory

As always Marie, this is a question should be asked on the group or you can do a search of the messages -  main@ECIR.groups.io | How to feed tumeric to horses is one to get you started. Re: Turmeric (groups.io) is another one on how much turmeric you actually need to feed to see any effect.

On Saturday, August 13, 2022 at 07:53:32 AM EDT, Marie Welch <mwelch@...> wrote:

Hi Sherry, have there been any group discussions on the safety of using  turmeric along with Devils claw for horses  with PPID/IR?

Thank you!  Marie Welch

Deb Walker

Kelly - I have had excellent results with Equithrive Original Joint Pellets. Dr. Kellon approved the ingredients when I asked her.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

Thanks, Deb. I just ordered some from Smartpak!
Kelly
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

Can you give both  Phyto-Quench +DC and Equithrive?
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981

Deb Walker

Kelly - It sounds to me like all 3 would be overkill...and you would never know which product is actually working unless you introduce them one at a time and give it some time to see results...just my opinion.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History: